The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased an ADA 120p tank and had a question about lighting it. My plan is to use a Tek T5 setup. However, I am unsure if I should go with the 4 bulb 216w, or the 6 bulb 324w. The most light intensive plant in the tank will be glosso, which I hope to form a carpet of. I will be using pressurized CO2 and dosing ferts. If I can get away with the 216 that would be great - the 324 is more money than I want to spend, but if necessary I will. I will be doing a combo of 6700k and 10,000k bulbs (still researching what manufacturer and type).

THANK YOU for all your help. I would be lost without this forum!

-Kyle-

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I've had a 120p sitting in the floor for a few months now and decided a couple weeks ago to get it going.
I was going to do MH but wanted a bit more flexability, so.

I recently purchased the Tek 6 bulb, maybe a bit over kill but I like the extreme, I also chose all 54W T5HO Midday 6000K Giesemann PowerChrome Fluorescent Bulbs, your choice with fixture, they look very good.
Decisions I know, I thought for awhile and shopped a lot before making my decision, I am content with my choice's.

http://www.specialty-lights.com/960040.html

http://www.specialty-lights.com/531030.html

I also contemplated on one of these bad boys, but, the price was just to far out.
http://www.giesemannlicht.com/main.cfm?p=03_110&l=En&MID=248&CID=264

Good luck.

·
Registered
706 Posts
if you can swing it, go for the 6 bulb model and the giesmann bulbs. you can run 3 bulbs for most of the time and give that noon day burst with all 6 for a few hours a day. thats what i do with my tek 8x54 setup on my 120g, 4 on for 10 hours and all 8 for 3 hours mid-day. the teks are VERY bright, and with the 6 bulb setup you can always use it on a larger tank later if you upsize.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dang, well it sounds like the 6 bulb option is the best. From reading it looks like I cannot run 3 and 3 like you said dhavoc. I will have to run 4 all the time and have 2 chime in during noon. Just fyi.

Thanks for the help. Im still collecting everything, so hopefully I will have this all up in running within the next 2 months.

Thanks again.

BTW, I plan to do with the same one you did Wö£fëñxXx.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Dang, well it sounds like the 6 bulb option is the best. From reading it looks like I cannot run 3 and 3 like you said dhavoc. I will have to run 4 all the time and have 2 chime in during noon. Just fyi.

Thanks for the help. Im still collecting everything, so hopefully I will have this all up in running within the next 2 months.

Thanks again.

BTW, I plan to do with the same one you did Wö£fëñxXx.
FWIW you cant run 3x3 but with the aquarium version Tek with 2 power cords you can run up to 3 combos: 2 lights, 4 lights, and all 6 lights, I'd think that should cover just about anything. To sequence with 3 different amounts of light you'll need at least one timer that can have 2 on/offs per day (which most can do) plus one more timer that just needs 1 on/of cycle.

·
Registered
706 Posts
sorry, my bad, didnt read the specs closely enough for the 6 bulb setup and assumed it was the same as my 8 bulb one. 4+2 would still give you pretty good lighting control though. good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts