The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting back into the hobby and have a 120g tank (48x24x24) and currently have a light T5HO fixture with (4) bulbs. I have pressurized CO2 and EI dose.
The bottom of my plant stems are not going that well and my HC is starting to grow straight up vs. a carpet…I am thinking the cause is due to lack of light.

So I was thinking of getting the Finnex Ray2.

Do you think the Finnex by itself will be enough or will I need to use the T5HO to supplement?

My old 120G tank I had (2) 95w PC and (2) 250W HQI and it was too much.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It sounds like you probably have enough light.

Did you use a dry start method for your HC? I think that this is supposed to be the best way to get it to carpet, versus growing up. I think it naturally wants to grow up anyway. I think if you can keep trimming it back it will force it to carpet. But someone else can probably chime in. I think you are supposed to cut back to a certain amount of nodes.

Also... I have varying luck with stem plants. Sometimes they just take a long time to acclimate to my tank when I buy or trade for new ones. I have some that are melting at the bottom, but the top is still there, so I'm hoping the tops keep growing so I can replant those.

What substrate are you using?

Are you dosing with Excel?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts