The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is one Eheim 2217 enough for a 120 gallon tank? I have plenty of powerful powerheads available to help increase flow, but am wondering about biofiltration capacity.

I've been reading through journals and it seems that many folks use two canisters on this size tank. I'm redoing the tank with a new substrate and hardscape. I always had problems with detritus accumulation in the past, though part of that may have been due to poor plant health.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
The flow rate on it seems small to me. I'd be worried about not getting enough water in contact with the bio media inside of it. Then again, it seems to be rated for a tank larger than what you have. I would, personally, go with another filter depending on bio load. It's a tough call. I'd look for chimes from other eheim users.

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
For a larger tank, I think two is always best.

First, you can't have too much filtration. Second, you can clean one without disturbing the bio field of the other. Third, in the event of a failure (unlikely but who knows??) you aren't in a panic, as the one can suffice for awhile.

On mine I have three, but I keep a heavily stocked tank.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
I've discussed this before it's interesting when you compare Eheim filters to for example Fluval. The 2217 has a GPH of 264 and it's recommended for tanks up to 160G and the Fluval 406 has a GPH of 383 and is recommended for tanks up to only 100G.

Eheim obviously believes in the efficiently of biological filtration whereas Fluval is more about large flow. I do believe Eheims are marketed to planted tanks much more than Fluval. Fluval is more about fish only tanks, where fish presence is usually heavier and you need to move more waste out of the tank.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input all. I definitely want to get a second filter now - if it helps prevent detritus and DOC accumulation (a huge problem with this tank's prior incarnation) it'll be worth it. What models are comparable to the 2217? Want to keep my options open.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was hoping for something close in cost to the 2217. I don't mind investing in quality, but some of the high-end Eheim models seem to be a bit over the top with various features...

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
This is not as simple as it seems and my short answer is "it depends".

Can you get away with one? A person with your experience, yes. But I bet you will end up with 2.
Check out Eheim 2075.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I ended up going with 2 Fluval 306 canister filters because I already had one from an old 55 gallon tank and to get one big enough would have been like $300. So far I haven't regretted it. I guess the only thing is the unsightly hoses in the back but I don't mind it as much. I probably should have put them in the corners. I find with 2 they are rated higher for a 140 gallon tank and can push more gallons per hour than needed. Also this way its filtering both sides of the tank at the same time for greater coverage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is one Eheim 2217 enough for a 120 gallon tank? I have plenty of powerful powerheads available to help increase flow, but am wondering about biofiltration capacity.

I've been reading through journals and it seems that many folks use two canisters on this size tank. I'm redoing the tank with a new substrate and hardscape. I always had problems with detritus accumulation in the past, though part of that may have been due to poor plant health.
Hi,
You may want to read this excellent article about filtration and on the advantages to running more than one filter especially for a tank of your size. It's quite a long article with useful info but if you want a quick read, scroll down to section on canister filters.

Aquarium Filtration | Filter Types | Advantages & Disadvantages

Best of luck:)

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I would go with Two Eheim 2217's.
This way you have same filter material (foam pads),same part's,and I would buy extra set of media,extra impeller shaft,impeller, and O ring that seals the unit.
Will be well prepared for most issues.
Not sayin the part's mentioned wear easily (they don't) just some comfort and ability to get the filter back online quickly.
I run two of the eheim 2217's on 80 gal planted tank and flow drops off a bit after you fill the canister with media and dirt begins to accumulate.
Is same for all filter's.
My two cents.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well said.

I would go with Two Eheim 2217's.
This way you have same filter material (foam pads),same part's,and I would buy extra set of media,extra impeller shaft,impeller, and O ring that seals the unit.
Will be well prepared for most issues.
Not sayin the part's mentioned wear easily (they don't) just some comfort and ability to get the filter back online quickly.
I run two of the eheim 2217's on 80 gal planted tank and flow drops off a bit after you fill the canister with media and dirt begins to accumulate.
Is same for all filter's.
My two cents.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up going with 2 Fluval 306 canister filters because I already had one from an old 55 gallon tank and to get one big enough would have been like $300. So far I haven't regretted it. I guess the only thing is the unsightly hoses in the back but I don't mind it as much. I probably should have put them in the corners. I find with 2 they are rated higher for a 140 gallon tank and can push more gallons per hour than needed. Also this way its filtering both sides of the tank at the same time for greater coverage.
Could you elaborate about the unsightly hoses? Tank will have a background so anything outside of the tank wouldn't be an issue.

roadmaster, you bring up a great point. I guess I'll aim for a 2217, though I'll have to see what the local LFS have.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I would also recommend two. Simple waterflow makes it almost impossible to blow water out at one point that will be strong enough to reach the other end six feet away without it also being strong enough to blast plants and substrate out of the bottom.
I love the 2217 but since I now have a bit less concern about investment cost and have used the 2075, I will now buy the 2075 for the added convenience. Two of those would be great but also more money! Two 2217 may be a good value.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Could you elaborate about the unsightly hoses? Tank will have a background so anything outside of the tank wouldn't be an issue.

roadmaster, you bring up a great point. I guess I'll aim for a 2217, though I'll have to see what the local LFS have.
Yes if you will be putting a background in, then it won't be an issue with the hoses however you'll still have the intake inside the tank which can be seen unless you can hide them behind plants or something.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
So with two canister filters, it looks like the best way to plumb it is to share the intake and run separate outlets. Should the outlets be on opposite sides?
Each canister has it's own intake/outlet.(no need to re-invent the wheel)
I place intake one in each corner,and place outlet's back into the tank by mounting them on the back glass of the tank up high, just beneath the water's surface, pointing towards the front glass.
Can't see my intakes for they are hidden by tall plant's.
I use the spray bar's for the return's and they create gentle rippling on the surface.:wink2:

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Each canister has it's own intake/outlet.(no need to re-invent the wheel)
I place intake one in each corner,and place outlet's back into the tank by mounting them on the back glass of the tank up high, just beneath the water's surface, pointing towards the front glass.
Can't see my intakes for they are hidden by tall plant's.
I use the spray bar's for the return's and they create gentle rippling on the surface.:wink2:
Nailed it. This is exactly what I would suggest with two filters. Honestly, you can even use two 200w heaters next to each intake and you'd probably never notice the equipment after the tank matures.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.