The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got back into the hobby about a year ago with a 60P aquarium. I've learned a lot running that tank and from reading the forums. I got to test out LED's which had only started coming out when I took a break from planted tanks. After a long time of saving up I decided to get an aquavas system. After a couple of months the tank has been algae free. Some things that might have contributed to that success:
-I've been using metricide/excel as an algicide
-I started the system with charcoal and seachem purigen
-I used tissue cultured plants. Lesson learned from my 20 gallon, I got BGA from a shipment that I didn't quarantine. For now on I will do a bleach dip on all plants that I receive.
Substrate is ADA amazonia powder type
plants are
rotala
glosso
Utricularia gramminifolia
Staurogyne repens
Was originally dosing EI, but will try PMDD next. Recently added neon yellow rasbora's which I really like. Also added some Amano shrimp.

9X7A7976 by gfiske, on Flickr

·
Registered
315 Posts
I love the way that Aquavas provides you with everything to get started. Tough on the wallet though. Looks good.
Can you take a close up pic of the neon yellow rasboras?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update on the tank:
The pump that comes with the aquavas filter is rated at 300 gph. With the cerges reactor and all the other fittings, it's probably at 100gph. I've been struggling with algae. I added a wet/dry filter with a 600gph pump and things are getting back into shape. From what I've read, ADA runs their tanks minimally stocked with low flow rates. I've got it overstocked at this point. From what I've read, a lot of people run two filters for a 120p. I love the wet/dry filter, but it's too noisy. So I think I'm going to get a lifeguard in line mechanical filter, then put the variable dc pump after it and let it power the cerges reactor and get more water turn over in the tank. Then hopefully that increases the oxygen so that the aquavas canister filter can do a better job and isn't bogged down with pressure loss.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up returning the wet/dry filter and adding a second canister filter. I took out all the hardscape so I could concentrate on just growing plants. I've been dosing pps-pro, originally mistakenly overdosing micros (plants were melting). Now it looks like I'm not dosing enough as the glosso is pale. Circulation looks like its finally doing well as I'm not getting anymore GDA. Slowly learning as I get back into the hobby. Once things are stable I'm going to invest in some hard scaping material and redo the tank.

·
Registered
216 Posts
So I got back into the hobby about a year ago with a 60P aquarium. I've learned a lot running that tank and from reading the forums. I got to test out LED's which had only started coming out when I took a break from planted tanks. After a long time of saving up I decided to get an aquavas system. After a couple of months the tank has been algae free. Some things that might have contributed to that success:
-I've been using metricide/excel as an algicide
-I started the system with charcoal and seachem purigen
-I used tissue cultured plants. Lesson learned from my 20 gallon, I got BGA from a shipment that I didn't quarantine. For now on I will do a bleach dip on all plants that I receive.
Substrate is ADA amazonia powder type
plants are
rotala
glosso
Utricularia gramminifolia
Staurogyne repens
Was originally dosing EI, but will try PMDD next. Recently added neon yellow rasbora's which I really like. Also added some Amano shrimp.

9X7A7976 by gfiske, on Flickr

I LOVE THEIR TANK !!! and everything came with as package.
The SS pipe all the way in the cabinet is the only way to do with uniform clear look.
Sorry ADA plastic hose on their 200 USD glass ? Not so !

Too bad I lived in the apartment. :-(
BTW, GREAT LOOKING TANK !!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey IUnknown - Great tank! - I'm looking to purchase the exact same tank set up you have from Aquavas as well - 120CM complete w/ canister filter. I'm most concerned with the filter and was wondering what your thoughts were on it. I can't find any information regarding their canister filter and can only assume with the limited information they have on their website that it is comparable to ADA's SUPER JET FILTER ES-1200. I'm planning on running an inline heater as well as a inline CO2 diffuser on the output line of the filter. Based on your experiences, do you think this filter can generate adequate flow rates with those 2 items attached or would I be better off running 2 separate filters to generate adequate flow? In one of your photos, it looks like you are also running an EHEIM 2180 - How does the Aquavas canister filter compare in terms of flow rate?

Filter aside, have you had any issues with the rest of the components in the system (Tank, Stand, Lights, etc) from Aquavas? I noticed in your pictures you aren't running the lights that come with the system - why/why not?

Would love to hear of your experiences!

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Eheim is a 2275, the new version 4. The best feature is that the coarse filter pad is on the top and is easily accessible so its really easy to clean. The Eheim also has all the filter media included, so compared to the $500 aquavas super jet, which doesn't come with any of the media, I don't know that I would have got it looking back. I think it's a direct knock off, since they are using the same pump. The filter is really heavy and the edges are really sharp, so you have to watch out not to cut yourself. The Aquavas filter is a real pain to maintain. The only benefit is that I'm running an inline heater, co2, probes and it does not drop in pressure that much. But the flow rate on the iwaki is low to begin with. I would definitely recommend getting two of the eheims at 312 gph.

Eheim Professional 4 Plus External Canister Filter

I'm not running the led lights because I personally do not like diffused light (think t5's). But that's just being nit picky. The tank, stand and light stand are really great. If Red Sea had a freshwater version of their tanks that would be some stiff competition. Their 425 is $2,000, but has a sump system.

Reefer XL 425 Complete System (88 Gal) - Red Sea - Bulk Reef Supply

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm actually using a red sea reefer 350 as a planted tank. Having used a canister filter in the past, the sump system is actually amazing. Much easier on maintenance, everything is easily accessible, and no piping what so ever visible from the sides and you can get a pump with way more GPH than you will ever need that is adjustable. Haven't had any problems with co2 gassing off by using a sump, no mods were done to seal it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ah, I was afraid you'd have nothing but negatives to say about the Aquavas canister filter, but I had a feeling you would. It's a shame because I really wanted to like it simply because of how amazing it looks, but since its gonna be under the cabinet anyway it's totally not worth the hassle. Thank you for the fair warning! I'm also not very surprised that it does not come with any media - shame on you Aquavas. I was looking into a single filter for my next build simply because I've been running 2 for all of my previous builds and I don't think it's worth the hassle anymore. I figured you were running the 2180 simply because as far as I know that was the only one with a heater built in and I didn't see a heater anywhere in the photos you posted - inline or in the tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A couple of final questions regarding the Aquavas canister - How is all of the media contained within the filter? Are there trays within the filter or does it just go in a bag and float about? Secondly, how do you prime it?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm actually using a red sea reefer 350 as a planted tank. Having used a canister filter in the past, the sump system is actually amazing.
Yeah, love sump systems. The issue with this tank is that it's in the TV room so noise is an issue. I tried silent stand pipes (durso, etc.) but in my experience non of them are truly silent, and you can always hear the trickling sound of water. The other plus with a sump is that it takes care of surface scum. The aquavas canister has vibration noise compared to the eheim which has no sound.

puddlep1rate, the hydor heater is just hidden. You could try with one filter, depending on the fish load and if you get algae issues, you might be able to make it work?

The media is up to you as there is no trays or instructions. I just copied what I could find about the superjet, got filter bags and put pumic and layered it with pads like eheim does (rather than carbon the way ADA does). Priming is done by bleeding the water from the hose on the bottom, which is another pain. The eheim has the primer built in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.