The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of switching my 120 planted fish tank into a mega shrimp tank.
I want to keep several different kind of shrimp in it. dont care about cross breeding or anything like that. not going to sell any unless they look cool.

any thoughts?

here is a picture of the 120 gallon now:

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
the ONLY problem I see... I have 2 overflows with holes on top and on the bottom. shrimp MAY be able to go through the holes and possibly go in the sump
Many people have shrimps living in their sumps just fine.

Btw... whats with you and huge tanks. Didn't you recently convert your 90gallon reef into a shrimp tank as well :O?

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you put cherries in there you won't mind the losses. lol You'll probably need quite a few to start off with though so they can find each other when they're ready to breed. I've noticed that tank size and plant density can greatly reduce successful breeding in my own tanks. That's not to say that either one of those things is really bad. It's just that the shrimp seem to have trouble finding each other if your colony size is small in a large tank. It really depends on what you're looking to do.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many people have shrimps living in their sumps just fine.

Btw... whats with you and huge tanks. Didn't you recently convert your 90gallon reef into a shrimp tank as well :O?
haha I see it this way... if i set a 20 or 40 gallon now, I'm going to want a bigger tank down the road. why not just get the biggest tank I can fit now and get it over with and be done!

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you put cherries in there you won't mind the losses. lol You'll probably need quite a few to start off with though so they can find each other when they're ready to breed. I've noticed that tank size and plant density can greatly reduce successful breeding in my own tanks. That's not to say that either one of those things is really bad. It's just that the shrimp seem to have trouble finding each other if your colony size is small in a large tank. It really depends on what you're looking to do.
I have cherries in my 40 breeder. I was thinking of putting the berried females in the 120 to start a few colonies. I could always put the females back into the 40 to breed again

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just shrimp huh? that's a huge tank for a shrimp colony. You could always through in some pymgy cory's, but that may be just my opinion to add a bit different variety.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just shrimp huh? that's a huge tank for a shrimp colony. You could always through in some pymgy cory's, but that may be just my opinion to add a bit different variety.
i was thinking 30 or so panda corys. the tank is 2' x 4'. I have pandas in all my shrimp tanks. I do have about 150 cardinal tetras that I might keep in with the shrimp.. not sure yet. I have 3 german rams and 30 scissor tail rasboras that def need to go

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.