The Planted Tank Forum banner
1721 - 1740 of 2268 Posts

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,723 ·
What's the width from tip to tip on the mystery plant next to the l. Sp red?
Depends on how long I allow it to grow before hacking it back.

It got a good 5-6" across in a 350 gal tank, maybe 4-5" here at full bloom.

It's a weed amongst weeds.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,724 ·
How are you finding using an aqualifter as your vacuum pump with the CPR? I used to run a CPR 100 with an aqualifter on my reef tank and I was constantly having problems with the diaphragms failing and my CPR would lose syphon (the syphon chamber would get air locked and with the failed diaphragm the aqualifter couldnt pull the air out). I was getting so paranoid I replaced my aqualifters every 3 months (I flooded my place quite often, thankfully it was in a basement).

This has happened to me with 2 different CPR100's and at least 9 Aqualifters

It may have simply been the salt water slowly destroying the rubber, but it was enough that I have been leery to bring my last CPR100 back in service.
Like anything, I watch it. A snail could get wedged in etc.
I'll spot the reduced flow in the cup or see more bubbles, or after a water change, it will slow down the repriming of the siphon.

I have a dozen kits to replace the diaphrams.
I catch them long long before they actually would "fail".

I'll make some custom overflow bean animal style later this summer.

They will not have any of that.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,725 ·
It has happened to me with or without the pre filter. I did have some pretty turbulent wave action mind you, so the chance of sucking air was greatly increased over a calm surface. I simply may have pushed the little things too hard.
All sorts of sessile inverts can get sucked into those, so that was more likely what occurred.

I use a Vortech MP40 on the 180 and have a ripping current.
But this will be a non issue this summer or thereabouts.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
All sorts of sessile inverts can get sucked into those, so that was more likely what occurred.

I use a Vortech MP40 on the 180 and have a ripping current.
But this will be a non issue this summer or thereabouts.
Quite possible. It was an enormous reef and had a thriving population of critters. They would turn up in everything. Shredded more then my fair share of impellors that way.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,727 ·
Quite possible. It was an enormous reef and had a thriving population of critters. They would turn up in everything. Shredded more then my fair share of impellors that way.
I've only had the sponge prefilter slip off a couple of times and got a couple of fish.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,728 ·
I looked at the R macrandra a while today, I might keep it there longer and see.
I'm in no rush and can wait and keep trimming it. It reddened back up after today being out in the full light rather than a back ground plant.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I've noticed that when you trim your Tonina fluvalitilis, I still see the growing crowns. Do the bottoms not survive? How do you propagate/make money off it, then?

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,737 ·
I've noticed that when you trim your Tonina fluvalitilis, I still see the growing crowns. Do the bottoms not survive? How do you propagate/make money off it, then?
I save the bottoms and the ones with side shoots and replant them. I tried growing them emergent, sort of works, they branch like mad then, but need to be kept warm.

Some of the bottoms are toast, those are tossed, but the tops grow and stay very nice all the time.

I might get 12-15 new tops per trim session once every 2 months.
So that's about 80-100$ worth of plants.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,738 ·
Oh of course! That explains a lot then
Darn cheaters
In your defense, the L. gigantea or whatever the heck it is, giant weed, is blocking the view due to the timing of the trims.

The plant gets trimmed 1-2x a week in this tank, it's a PITA.
It does better actually in my 180 Gallon.

I take the cutting and the trashed stems from this tank and transfer it over there where they grow slower, easier, more consistent and nicer. They do not get trimmed often over there, maybe once a month at most.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,739 ·
There's 3-4 of those Elatine hydropiper patches left out of the maybe 50-100 I planted.

I'll have to try something else with the fish I have.

Likely HC, but I'd also like to replace the Elatine triandra with something he same similar left size and shade. So the HC might go there, then the other yet to be known species will go where the EH was planned.

I might use mini Riccia. Been about 10 years since I used it.

1721 - 1740 of 2268 Posts