The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
you know. i've never seen a pic. how is the outflow positioned IN the tank. i can see it above water but what goes on underneath? im curious as to how the flow is generated in the tank since flow dynamics are so important to good nutrient transport which u clearly have
look on the previous page, theres a photo where the tank is drained that shows its position. I know at one time there was a vortec powerhead below the outflow, though i dont see it anymore, unless its covered by plants.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I noticed when you sold off the U.G you simply replanted the plugs, Im trying to get a good ground cover of it in my tank, can i trim it down to the substrate to encourage new growth, or is it better to replant in plugs and let spread out?
Thanks for your time

nevermind, you answered this in another thread
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168992&page=36

·
Registered
343 Posts
Tom is there an ideal kh you try to achieve?
I use ro/di and have constantly aimed to add baking soda to achieve 1 kh, but looking at the kh/ph charts , if i bump my kh up, it looks like more c02 will be dissolved. So in theory, if i don't adjust my c02, and bump up my kh, will this give me a higher c02 ppm, or will this also raise the ph and in turn need more c02 as well. Still trying to 'master' this whole c02 thing!! i think ive reread this entire thread 5 or 6 times and learn something new each time!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks for explaining that, looking at those c02 charts gets a little confusing, and looks like, if you bump up the kh the c02 is increased, my assumption was this allows more c02 to dissolve, but your explanation makes more sense! especially in how ph probes work to control c02 levels. I think its time to invest in a more accurate ph test.

No, adding more baking soda does NOT add more CO2.

Adding more CO2, adds more CO2.

Think about it.

KH or 1 perhaps even less is fine.

If you have a set rate of CO2 gas being added to the tank, say 500mls per hour, adding KH does not change the rate at which it's being added. We add CO2 for the plants to grow. We do not add it to change the pH directly.

Adding more KH just moves the pH higher, but does not change the CO2.
The rate of enrichment remains the same.

If I add 500mls of CO2 gas per hour to a 20 Gal tank with a KH of 10 degrees and this CO2 drives the pH down to 7.0, I'll have about 30 ppm.
If I add the same amount to a 20 Gal tank with a KH of 1 and push the pH down 6.0, I still have the same concentration: 30 ppm.

Ambient pH without adding CO2 for KH 10: about 8.0-8.2 ranges and for a KH of 7.0-7.2, same pH decrease and same CO2.

Many seem to think they can play with KH to get more CO2, not, this does NOT work. You add more CO2 to add more CO2. Adding other acids to artificially decrease the pH also does not add more CO2. If you add say HCL or vinegar, this will destroy the KH=> HCO3 + H+(acid) => CO2 and H2O, but then the KH drops real fast.

Bottom line, add more CO2 if you want more CO2. It's so obvious many miss it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
343 Posts
impressive. to get my co2 where i need, the bubbles come out larger than i think they should.. kinda wastefull.. ive tried a needlewheel pre return and it actually makes the bubbles larger, im at a loss besides looking into a post reactor of some kind
I had a similar problem i solved this way. I still diffuse c02 into the sump pump which turns it into a mist, It then goes into a reactor that catches any large bubbles, but also lets some c02 build, and i still get a nice mist in the tank. Later in the photoperiod i have a nice mist in the tank and I can hear the reactor full of c02. Best of both worlds and more efficient for my setup.

·
Registered
343 Posts
2 questions for you tom if you have time,
When you set up the bean animal for the sump, did you run all 3 overflow lines into the sealed filter box, or 2 lines to the sealed filter section and the 3rd emergency drain pipe to the pump side of the sump? I drilled out my cs-50 overflow box to use two siphons like the bean animal style, i would imagine a 3rd open hole to the filter box would allow co2 to escape.

Also, i was wondering if you ever tested using very little surface movement in the aquarium and not sealing the filter side of the sump. So theoretically, keeping as much co2 in the aquarium as possible, and not letting it degas to much until it hits the sump. I tried this with good results, but im curios the effect on o2 levels in the tank, and i don't have the equipment to test that.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The joys of working with aqua soil... i think the death cloud it creates keeps me from fiddling with my tanks to often.. which can be a good thing sometimes. The blood vomit looks really nice, its just a small plant.. still cant seem to place mine well, they would look pretty killer against a sand substrate. I bet Stag repens would fit well in that row with a small strip of e.h in front of it

1 - 11 of 12 Posts