The Planted Tank Forum banner
1881 - 1900 of 1912 Posts

·
Planted Tanker
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,881 · (Edited)
About three weeks in now and everything is coming along pretty good. I wondered if there'd be any 'new tank' issues like diatoms or gda, so far looks like Ive dodged that bullet. The front glass had a little gda for the first week or two. Lately its been crystal clear.

Gratiola cleared up nice, it shed the little fuzz algae. Variegated AR is showing some promising new leaves. Two out of three Pogo heidelberg stunted with new side growth, could be the transition coming from soil. Gonna give it a little more time.

Purple stauro is looking better. Behind is the other stunted heidleberg. You can see on the right side the main top that stunted, on the left side that's two new side shoots. Good example of what I was talking about before. It gave up on the main top and started itself over.

Hygro balsamica rebounding pretty good. You have to catch this plant early in the day when its fully opened for it to look good. Later in the photo period its more closed up and doesnt have the same visual impact. Didiplis is a little pale, might need a touch more Fe

Remember at first I said the balsamica leaves looked 'singed'. Here are those older leaves a couple of days ago. No big deal, just pinched all that off

·
Planted Tanker
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,883 · (Edited)
I'm impressed it looks like it was just a blip on the radar screen.

If you didn't mention it, would not even know anything had happened.

Are you still on lower micros??
Yep, dosing .075 3-4x per week in all tanks. One dose after water change with everything else, another dose next day, then 2-3 days later another one, or two if something looks like it needs it.

Ive raised macros a little bit, probably about 15-20%, not sure how much just dosing a few extra ML. Rough guess Im around 22/8/31 for two weeks now, up from 18/6/27. Something like that.

Why? Well recent talks w/you got me thinking. And also Ive been pondering over the response when I went on vaca - why did less micros seem to cause such a surge in growth and health that week?? It wasnt too much Fe or micros, Ive gone way higher than that with good results. What if macros were too low, specifically PO4? That would explain it. And since NO3 was pretty darn low at 18 I just raised everything. Nothing much has changed. Lowering micros may have already compensated to a degree. Everything looks real good so it certainly hasnt hurt...

·
Planted Tanker
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,886 ·
@burr740 beautiful as always. Any tips on growing penthorum? It's supposed to be an easy plant but it's not really growing well in my tank. Water column dosing is very lean and I'm thinking thats the problem but aquasoil is only 3 months old. Thanks.

Omid

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
It doesnt like low macros in mine either. If one or more is too low it stunts and sometimes the stem turns brown and melts at the bottom. Tends to do the same thing regardless which macro it is, seen it do it with all three. Ive only ever grew it in sand though. Its such a fast beast when its happy Ive never wanted to try it in soil.

Try just raising PO4, the fresh soil is probably keeping that near zero in the water. Could be any or all three though

·
Registered
15 Posts
Awesome looking tanks you have. I’m just getting started in the planted tank world as I have always done saltwater since the early 2000. I love seeing that your a T5 guy, that’s all I have ever used in my saltwater, and now am using them with my planted tank.

So my question to you since you have been doing this for much longer then me, I’m using a ATI dimmable 6 bulb with 2 LEDs attached to them on a 40 gallon breeder tank. It is 12 inches above the tank, so about 26 inches from the lowest spot in the tank. With saltwater I never worried to much about blasting them with light, but now I’m worried maybe I have to much light? I have them dimmed slightly for now. I have plants in the tank now for about a week, no algae as of yet, things seem to be growing pretty good, color could be better, not sure if to much light will take color away or not. Before this I did a dark start and let my tank cycle for 3 weeks before even putting plants in.

So I guess what I’m asking here is should I just run 4 bulbs, or stick with the 6 I got going now. It’s all trial and error for me, but I don’t want to do to much damage so that’s why I’m asking. I’m pumping tons of co2 and adding ferts daily. Any help or suggestions would be awesome thanks

·
Registered
636 Posts
With saltwater I never worried to much about blasting them with light, but now I’m worried maybe I have to much light? I have them dimmed slightly for now. I have plants in the tank now for about a week, no algae as of yet, things seem to be growing pretty good, color could be better, not sure if to much light will take color away or not. Before this I did a dark start and let my tank cycle for 3 weeks before even putting plants in.
Not Joe here but too much light is not really a problem. As long as ferts, CO2, and water changes/cleanliness are on point you can really blast a planted tank with light. It's the best way to get good color on your plants. It's rarer to find plants that originate from deep undergrowth, like Anubias. They might struggle in super high light. But many stem plants are native to the tropics and grow under direct sunlight, so they can handle about the same amount of light that corals can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you, yea I’m running more of a Dutch style or just a tank with colorful plants, so lots of stem plants. Think I’ll keep running my 6 bulb, just need to find a really nice bulb combo. It’s very hard to find 36 inch bulbs for my fixture, but I went with all Giesaman bulbs. I have 2 of the Flora, 2 of the super purple, and 2 of the Tropics. I’m thinking of dropping one of the tropics for another pink type bulb, but not sure which one yet.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thank you, yea I’m running more of a Dutch style or just a tank with colorful plants, so lots of stem plants. Think I’ll keep running my 6 bulb, just need to find a really nice bulb combo. It’s very hard to find 36 inch bulbs for my fixture, but I went with all Giesaman bulbs. I have 2 of the Flora, 2 of the super purple, and 2 of the Tropics. I’m thinking of dropping one of the tropics for another pink type bulb, but not sure which one yet.
If you haven't seen it yet, check out this thread about bulb combos. It's one of my favorite threads and I don't even have a T5 fixture (yet). Really shows how different bulb combos effect the look of a tank.

·
Banned
76 Posts
So when you say black diamond blasting sand do you mean the $10/50lb bag stuff from say tractor supply?

I have a 55g with eco complete in it that I am indifferent about. I have 3 new tanks I am waiting to fill with plants but I can’t settle on a substrate. It would cost me a pretty penny to fill these with aquasoil and I don’t think I want the headache of a potting soil tank. I have my hands in the tank frequently.

Could you talk a little about the black sand? I’m interested in doing it myself but worry about it compacting. How thick is yours etc. Dennis wong (2hr aquarist) describes it as “sharp”. Is that something that could be dangerous to livestock? For example a geophagus sifting it or something similar.

·
Planted Tanker
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,898 ·
Hey guys!! Figured it was about time for an update. Been doing a lot of other things for the past year or so but Im still rolling along with all my tanks.

Here's the 75 Dutch about a month ago when I started tidying things up. Its just like all the others at this point...a tank with a bunch of plants stuck in it. So its not scaped or anything, similar plants right beside each other etc. Im just cleaning and pruning everything good.

Pics start 4-5 weeks ago, then various states about a week apart until now

Spot that algae lol?

Not sure if this tank is gonna be my AGA entry this year, I have new toy too...

Post is getting pic heavy so I'll put the rest in another one shortly

·
Planted Tanker
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,899 ·
Got a new UNS 75p, 30x17.5x17.5, about 40 gal. Its in the living room

Landen Aquasoil
CO2 via inline atomizer, SunSun canister
4x24" T5HO, running two of those iSun LED bulbs from a few pgs back, still liking those things, one powerveg and one ati purple. PAR at the sub is around 120, except 4-5 " from each end it fades down to about 75 on the edges, since the light is 24" and the tank is 30". Which is fine. I made some little brackets for the time being but I think I want it hung. We'll see how it goes, thats plenty of light though

Its been running a few days. Gonna plant it this weekend, thats just some scraps I stuck in there

Dosing routine hasnt really changed. 80-90% water change every 6-7 days, then front load 25/9/35ish + 5 Mg. Micros at .17 Fe 3x week. All tanks get pretty much the same routine.

Here's the 50, recurvifolia is about to take over lol. Good candidate for the new tank..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Got a new UNS 75p, 30x17.5x17.5, about 40 gal. Its in the living room

Landen Aquasoil
CO2 via inline atomizer, SunSun canister
4x24" T5HO, running two of those iSun LED bulbs from a few pgs back, still liking those things, one powerveg and one ati purple. PAR at the sub is around 120, except 4-5 " from each end it fades down to about 75 on the edges, since the light is 24" and the tank is 30". Which is fine. I made some little brackets for the time being but I think I want it hung. We'll see how it goes, thats plenty of light though

Its been running a few days. Gonna plant it this weekend, thats just some scraps I stuck in there

Dosing routine hasnt really changed. 80-90% water change every 6-7 days, then front load 25/9/35ish + 5 Mg. Micros at .17 Fe 3x week. All tanks get pretty much the same routine.

Here's the 50, recurvifolia is about to take over lol. Good candidate for the new tank..

Any guesses as to why your tank needs so much P since normal EI levels are only about 3ppm?

1881 - 1900 of 1912 Posts