The Planted Tank Forum banner
1861 - 1880 of 1912 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Is this AR I see growing in sand? Conventional wisdom is that it needs an active substrate.

Can you link your dosing? Root tabs?

It grows in my sand tank BUT the whole tank is algae prone, so I'm not sure how well its growing. It seems that when I plant a top, it takes a month for the growth to pick up, and a couple weeks for the donor to start growing reliably. By that time lower leaves have algae. If you trim lower leaves, will they eventually be replaced?

·
Planted Tanker
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,862 · (Edited)
Current FTS. Ignore the multitude of of contrast fails, I just put a bunch of stuff that I needed a place for in there.

Also got a new Galaxy s21 ultra+ and these are my first tank pics with it. Havent quite got it down yet but can already tell its a lot better than the old s8 I traded in

You're welcome. :). Would you please share your maintenance and dosing regimen so I can follow it while the tank establishes and the plants grow in?
Sure, Im might as well journal this set up for a while. Not sure Im gonna make a AGA entry this year. This is the tank but tis too much farm atm and not enough time to get it right since I dont have room to move a bunch of species somewhere else right now. I might try a little 20H...been thinking about doing a small one anyway. We'll see..

Dosing Routine is roughly the same as as my 8 other tanks, half sand tanks and half soil. Personally I find the soil tanks need about the same thing (unless the soil is real fresh then it gets more PO4)

I do weekly 90%+ water changes. Then front load 18 ppm NO3, 6 PO4, and 25-27 K. Also another 10 ppm Mg (via epsom salt). My tap comes with ~40 Ca and ~ 4 Mg.

Micros, Ive cut down a little bit. Currently dosing .075 ppm Fe about 3x per week. I went on vacation for a week. before leaving every tank got a water change, full macros and .15 dose of Fe. Came back a week later expecting to see a few pale plants, etc. But to my surprise....every tank had exploded with faster than normal growth and colors were actually better! Go figure...

So since then Ive cut back from .075 daily to 3x per week. And I gotta say every plant is loving it except for C furcata, Pantanal, and Blyxa japonica var recurvifolia (formerly alternifolia). Those have always been notorious for loving higher Fe/micros.

Is this AR I see growing in sand? Conventional wisdom is that it needs an active substrate.

Can you link your dosing? Root tabs?

It grows in my sand tank BUT the whole tank is algae prone, so I'm not sure how well its growing. It seems that when I plant a top, it takes a month for the growth to pick up, and a couple weeks for the donor to start growing reliably. By that time lower leaves have algae. If you trim lower leaves, will they eventually be replaced?
Ive always grown the regular AR in sand and it grows fine, with virtually no root tabs. The mini variegated used to grow great in my old 75 sand tank but Ive been keeping it in soil for a couple of years. It is more picky than the regular but honestly it doesnt grow any better in soil.

These regular I planted the day after the original pic a couple weeks ago.

Purple stauro is just now starting to come out, that 5 days in the box hit it hard probably

On the left, yesterday I stuck a few variegated scraps to see how they do now. Oddly enough, back in the day when the varie was in sand, it didnt seem to like O+. Just about every time I added some the leaves would curl real bad, which is already the main concern with this one

·
Banned
6,197 Posts
Hey Joe good to see an update and pics. Lot's of great looking plants and great mix of colors.

Sorry to hear you won't be entering the AGA, but I get it. That is a massive undertaking. Don't think I could ever have the discipline to do it justice.

Interesting comment on the micros. After we discussed this a few weeks ago, I lowered my micro dosing by half just to see what would happen. Funny you mentioned the Pantanal and Furcata. They started pouting right away and clearly weren't happy. I went back to my regular dose a few days ago and they perked right back up. Since they aren't going anywhere, micros will stay back at 0.4 weekly.

And your AR looks great. As you know, I have never had much luck with it. Of course, hope springs eternal so might have to torture it again sometime in the future!

Also have to ask......what's in the plastic pot and why???

·
Banned
6,197 Posts
I do weekly 90%+ water changes. Then front load 18 ppm NO3, 6 PO4, and 25-27 K. Also another 10 ppm Mg (via epsom salt).
One more thing.

You and I have not swapped macro dosing in a while.

With 90%+ water change, you are effectively dosing to a target.

Your target is 18:6:27.........mine is 20:6:30. I thought it was interesting how close they are.

·
Planted Tanker
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,865 · (Edited)
Haha, the plastic pot is an a-flame purple knight. it was about 8" with 6-7 leaves...but it got algae. had it in another tank. So I took it out and soaked it with peroxide and let it sit for about 20 minutes. That was too long, leaves melted a few days later. its coming back now though, it'll be fine

That IS interesting how close it is. I was thinking you were lower on macros than I was

·
Banned
6,197 Posts
That IS interesting how close it is. I was thinking you were lower on macros than I was
As you know this gets into that long discussion about dosing and how water change percentage affects accumulation.

I report my dosing as a "target". That is what I am dosing the incoming new water to.

If you really want to compare more exactly, your 18:6:27 at 90% is the equivalent of mine at 20:6.66:30.....almost exactly the same.

·
Planted Tanker
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,875 · (Edited)
Why would it grow these buds? Stress of transitioning from ur tank to mine probably, right?

Omid

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Thats right. Those are new side shoots forming.

What happens to stem plants when they get shocked for some reason, like getting shipped, a deficiency, anything that makes them temporarily unhappy. As a survival mechanism the stem gives up on the main top and starts devoting its resources to making new growth, which (ideally) is better adapted to the current conditions.

What I would do with those is just let them go for 2-3 weeks andd see how the look. By then you should either have a bunch of decent looking side shoots that vcan be pinched off and replanted. Look for ones that have a root or two coming from the node the originate.

Or, if there's not much in the way of nice growth to salvage, cut the whole group down to about 2-3 inches and leave the rooted stumps in place. They'll come back out with better growth that's adapted to your conditions. Matter of fact this is a good way to fix stems that arent growing well sometimes, just mow the whole group down and let it restart with new growth.

Of course all of the above assumes you have a well running, clean tank with good co2 and ferts.

But nah I dont think thats a fert issue, at least not a specific one you can point to.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thats right. Those are new side shoots.

What happens to stem plants when they get shocked for some reason, like getting shipped, fert deficiency, anything that makes them temporarily unhappy. The stem gives up on the primary top and starts devoting its resources to making fesh new stems, which are ideally better adapted to the current conditions.

What i would do with those is just let them go for 2-3 weeks andd see how the look. By then you should either have a bunch of decent looking side shoots that vcan be pinched off and replanted. Look for ones that have a root or two coming from the node the originate.

Or, if there's not much in the way of nice growth to salvage, cut the whole group down to about 2-3 inches and leave the rooted stumps in place. They'll come back out wit better growth that's adapted to your conditions.

Of course all of the above assumes you have a well running, clean tank with goo2 co2 and ferts.

But no I dont believe itds a fert issue because there's too much going on, too many so-called "symptoms" at once.
Thanks for the explanation. The same happened with the ramosior Florida I got from you but the side shoots look awesome now and I cut them off and replant, keeping the main stem in place to grow more side shoots...greed and capitalism you know

·
Planted Tanker
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,877 · (Edited)
I am completely new to the planted tank. Looking at these amazing photos and then reading tons of comments about the technical aspects of the hobby makes me think I'm in way over my head! 😂

Oh well, gotta start somewhere, right?
Haha, dont even sweat it because we've all been there. I remember when I didnt know the difference between a ppm and a drop checker lol. Just keep reading and learning, it will all become very simple before you know it.

Understanding the importance of good cleaning and maintenance will go a long long way in this hobby. It doesnt matter how many big words a person can rattle off. If they're not stressing good cleaning and maintenance first and foremost....better listen to somebody else... ;)

·
Planted Tanker
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,878 ·
Thanks for the explanation. The same happened with the ramosior Florida I got from you but the side shoots look awesome now and I cut them off and replant, keeping the main stem in place to grow more side shoots...greed and capitalism you know

Yep, do that and you'll have florida coming out your ears in a bout 3 months

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yep, do that and you'll have florida coming out your ears in a bout 3 months
Hahahaha I had a good batch 3-4 months ago but lost those in another tank due to stem necrosis/droop. Not planning on a ramosior Florida kill tank now!!!

Thanks for the plants and all the help man.

Omid

·
Planted Tanker
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,880 ·
The purple stauro is slowly coming back out, just now starting to show a little new growth. Looks like the existing growth is pretty much toast, none of these crappy leaves will get right just have to wait on new growth. I gave each one a couple single O+ balls. Thats the only O+ Ive used so far

Hygro balsamica you can notice some of the older leaves are a little rough around the edges, almost like they've been singed. Its from spending 5 days in a bag, and of course any leaves like that are gonna get algae. Thats really the only other plant with lasting damage from the whole ordeal

Rotala mexicana goias makes a nice little colorful bush. Pretty easy plant too. Gratiola viscidula to the left took a little damage, you can tell which leaves... just look for the algae

The two green stems shaped like a pantanal is Pogosteman heidelberg. I like this one a lot, nice slow growth rate. Its a little finicky, stunts easily but recovers well too. Never tried it in sand, gonna see how it does.

Guess thats all for now :)

1861 - 1880 of 1912 Posts