The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, looking to replace ADA solar II metal halide lights for an LED light.

what light would recommend for a set up that high light.

I would like to stay about $600+-

as I mentioned my tank is a 120h which means is 48 inches wide and 24 inches high, but I use a heave substrate bed and tge light only needs to go down 20 inches from the top of the water line

·
Registered
13,143 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
For consideration:
Not the prettiest.
How many halides and what was the wattage ?
2 lights at 150w each
3 AI Prime Freshwater.
Were you using the "green" bulbs?
If you do is that tone important?
Hard to match it w/ "commercial" leds
Sorry need to correct things a bit .
4 ai Primes but breaks the bank by $200
200w vs 300w of halides.

The arguably better Kessils will blow the budget wide open.
Plus controller wilk blow the budget also.
Around a grand.
Tuna sun is just warm white/cool white diodes w a low red content. Exactly how low depends on "actual" diodes which kessil keeps quiet.
Their new light is , personally, much better.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry need to correct things a bit .
4 ai Primes but breaks the bank by $200
200w vs 300w of halides.

The arguably better Kessils will blow the budget wide open.
Plus controller wilk blow the budget also.
Around a grand.
Tuna sun is just warm white/cool white diodes w a low red content. Exactly how low depends on "actual" diodes which kessil keeps quiet.
Their new light is , personally, much better.
You are a wealth of information. Thank you! I wonder if I should just stay with my MH lights and call it a day. How are twinstar 1200 viii?

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
You are a wealth of information. Thank you! I wonder if I should just stay with my MH lights and call it a day. How are twinstar 1200 viii?
Since you are already hanging things (I assume) the 1200sp would do.. w/ qualifications.
One would be finding any 1200 size models..
Lumens are listed as 7500.
2 metal halides are roughly 26000 lumens.. :eek:
Of course knowing how many photons actually get in your tank is ????
Generally one can get away w/ less 'lumens" in LEDs due to the more focused delivery so going 1:1 is unnecessary.
Out of the box no dimming (possible w/ work)or channel adjustments (not possible).

to be honest, as soon as one gets into "no bells and whistles" LEDs one can go more "out of the box" w/ cheap LED floods.
Finding "the right" one is a challenge.

Finding cheap, bells and whistles high output no fans LED's isn't easy... if even possible.

Big problem is most of these are saltwater orientated.
Some companies (this has fans) have fw versions but not common enough.

Review the data..

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since you are already hanging things (I assume) the 1200sp would do.. w/ qualifications.
One would be finding any 1200 size models..
Lumens are listed as 7500.
2 metal halides are roughly 26000 lumens.. :eek:
Of course knowing how many photons actually get in your tank is ????
Generally one can get away w/ less 'lumens" in LEDs due to the more focused delivery so going 1:1 is unnecessary.
Out of the box no dimming (possible w/ work)or channel adjustments (not possible).

to be honest, as soon as one gets into "no bells and whistles" LEDs one can go more "out of the box" w/ cheap LED floods.
Finding "the right" one is a challenge.

Finding cheap, bells and whistles high output no fans LED's isn't easy... if even possible.

Big problem is most of these are saltwater orientated.
Some companies (this has fans) have fw versions but not common enough.

Review the data..
thanks again, I think I am going to stay with my MHs they work just fine and look solid. Maybe one day I’ll do the change with the proper budget

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.