The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Working on getting equipment together, I remembered my dad used to have a beer kegerator which uses co2. Turns out he still has the co2 tank from it. Its a normal 5lb tank, im thinking aluminum... however its pretty old. At least 12-15 years old, and probably hasnt been used or filled in around 8-9 years. Would this be ok to use? Should I have it inspected? What should I look out for?

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
-Scott

·
Super Moderator
11,986 Posts
Co2 canisters needs to be hydro tested every 5 years. Bring it to a place that fills co2 and ask what can be done with it.
+1. The cylinder will need to be hydrotested and re-certified before it can be used again. Costs will be ~$30.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Air Gas will exchange tanks even if their hydro test is out of date. Some places will charge extra, but they don't. I suspect Robert's Oxygen is the same.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Just to clarify what people are talking about regarding exchanges. In places like Air Gas or Roberts Oxygen when you go to "fill" you CO2 tank they just simply exchange it for another one. The guy at my Air Gas told me they will accept an old tank that is out of date in exchange for a filled one for the same cost (~$20 around here).

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
As people said, the tank will need to be hydrotested. It's not optional, it's something that happens every 5 years, as per a stamp on the tank.

I feel screwed because when I exchanged my tank that was out of date through Air Gas, they charged me for the cost of testing. They said it was one time so it's not something they will do to me again if I get one and it lasts longer than the date but I did have to pay for mine, unless my memory is serving me wrong. If it's not common for them to do so, I would just exchange it and get one in date. I like exchanges as it takes about 3 minutes total anyway but even if you were not going to exchange again, you will save money.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the information guys! I did call airgas and they said to just bring it on in and they will check it out for me... However I'll probably just bring it in and ask to exchange it for a full one and just pay whatever the additional cost is...

Any way ya slice it, it will likely be cheaper to do the exchange and get the full one then to buy one and have to get it filled anyway.

Thanks again for all the details, if I can avoid paying for it to be hydrotested, and just exchange it, that's the route I'll go.

-Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts