The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying a Chinese coldwater river tank in my Eclipse 12. (I live in a one bedroom apartment and my roomie will only let me have the bathroom counter for my addiction) I've picked out hillstream loaches and white cloud minnows so far, and plan to get a powerhead when I have more money to really get the thing going. It's not a pure rock river, but a grassy one (Not entirely true to type here. I just like white clouds and grasses) and the PH is going to sit around 7.5-8. I haven't settled on it entirely, and right nwo we have about 8 degrees of hardness. My water comes out at about 0-1 degrees hardness, and 6.5 PH, so I can play with it as needed.

My question is... What sort of fish would fit in here? I'd love to add something like a paradise fish or another pretty specimen fish and have the white clouds be a backdrop in their school. Suggestions? I'd like to keep it to Chinese mountain stream types or at least something that will enjoy hard, fast, cold water.

I'm adding fish carefully and slowly over the next year and watching the bioload, so there are no concerns with overloading the tank because I'll be watching it and stopping when it looks like enough.

Thanks for any and all help!

-Mairoa

·
Registered
293 Posts
My question is... What sort of fish would fit in here?
Suggestions?
You'd be pretty much at your limit with 6-8 white clouds and a few hillstreams. What kind of hillstreams?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one reticulated hillstream right now, and I'm looking at 5-6 white clouds. I was considering keeping it to 1-2 hillstreams unless they do significantly better in groups.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I was considering keeping it to 1-2 hillstreams unless they do significantly better in groups.
Sounds good. 2 Sewellia lineolata would be the max for me in a 12 gal. I'd also try to make sure the have their own space. They will scrap for territory from time to time. If you think you can sex them, then you may wanna try to breed them. There's some really good articles out there on this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts