The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies and gents, I've been lurking around for about 8 months now and have educated myself quite a bit reading many tank builds, details about the walstad method and I have two tanks of my own one 29 Gallon( high tech)and one 5.5 Gallon(low tech), both of which have been pretty successful, anyway... I plan on tearing down the 29 gallon and getting a 12 gallon long because lets face it the dimensions allow for a much more in depth aquascape and I want a bigger tank for more celestial pearl danios but in a 29 gallon in the whole scale of things they look tiny(which they are)

so, with my calculations of 12 gallons of 8.34lbs per gallon means the total weight would be right around 110-120lbs with the glass, and with any rock( if I use rock in the scape) all my equipment would be able to hopefully be stowed in a cabinet under the tank (don't know what canister filter I want yet, 2213 eheim?)
I want to keep it somewhat cheap and close to the length of the tank probably around 36-40ish inches and I've been looking at IKEA for something that would be suitable, but the big problem I'm having is I'm not sure how much weight their furniture will safely hold, is anyone currently using any IKEA furniture for a 12 gallon long? what would you recommend? currently our furniture is of the HEMNES series in black/brown from IKEA and ideally we would like to stay with the same coloration so nothing stands out to much while staying away from all the particle board crap!

TLDR: getting a 12gl long, what IKEA furniture in black/brown would be suitable and around the same length?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not IKEA, but I use this and put my canister behind the panel on the left. I cut a hole in the back of that section of the bookcase to feed the hoses through. It's not very tall, but I set my 12 up to be viewable from above as well as from the front so I actually like that feature.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow that actually looks perfect! thank you so much, I just said IKEA because I didn't want to spend over $150!
thanks again!

·
Registered
71 Posts
one of the biggest struggles there is to the 12 gallon long is finding the right stand, it took me forever! also i advice getting a powerhead in the tank to prevent dead spots and low water circulation. Adding a powerhead also helped out a lot with algae control.

this is the exact stand I have for mine 3 Tier Wire Shelving Unit - 200lb per Shelf Capa... : Target
I was sceptical at first but I highly reccomend it especially for the price! I also layed down some plywood on the the top layer.

I also highly reccomend the foam matt they sell for the tank, I love it.

[/URL][/IMG]

Bump:
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what are you guys doing to conceal your heaters? I've toyed with the idea of doing a sump, but also thought of just throwing the heater in a bucket inline so that I have the benefit of extra water volume, as well as a concealed heater inline, I've thought of using an inline heater thats ready made, but from what I've read people have had issues with those failing

·
Registered
965 Posts
I went the custom route on my stand. See link below my signature.

I use the Hydor inline heater I believe you are talking about.
They have a better reputation than you think. All heaters are bound to fail but, as insurance you can purchase a heater controller for $20 to protect yourself.

I have run the same Hydor for 3+ years with zero issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
what about just having the 5 gallon bucket inline to add to the total volume of water? with these tanks being so small wouldn't that help with stability? and that would also add more room for more bio filter media
this may be a bit far fetched but if its seal able and clear could also use it as something like an algae scrubber like they use in saltwater tanks, just throw a powerful light over it and intentionally grow algae in there to help prevent algae in the actual tank
maybe using something like this for the tank outlet, and then just running a pump in the sump for return to tank, that way I could just use another tank below for the sump
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/pf-nano-overflow-box-eshopps/

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I just have a cheap heater in my tank, you can see it in the pictures its in the back right. I am interested in the algae scrubber idea. Hopefully somebody that knows more about the subject will comment on this!
I think algae scrubbers work in salt water tanks because they remove nitrates that serve no purpose in the tank. Planted tanks need nitrates to fertilize the plants, so the algae scrubber would very likely do much more harm than good, by circulating algae spores throughout the tank from the scrubber tank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
very good point, well... what about just using it as a tank to help prevent algae by growing fast growing plants that will help remove excess nutrients?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
very good point, well... what about just using it as a tank to help prevent algae by growing fast growing plants that will help remove excess nutrients?
What would keep that small tank from growing a huge algae colony? If it did, it wouldn't have healthy plants to use the nutrients, and it would spread algae spores into the big tank. If you kept the lighting low to avoid algae in the small tank, the plants wouldn't be fast growers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts