The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scoop,
Got a 12 gallon long that I am setting up as a stream style with a moderate flow in one direction. The plan so far is to get a big enough canister filter to create a moderate to high current across the tank by installing the inlet and outlet on opposing sides. I am hesitant to buy small and have to add a manifold and a clunky powerhead.
I am torn between the Eheim classic 250 and 350.
Would anyone like to share their thoughts or opions?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Here's the scoop,
Got a 12 gallon long that I am setting up as a stream style with a moderate flow in one direction. The plan so far is to get a big enough canister filter to create a moderate to high current across the tank by installing the inlet and outlet on opposing sides. I am hesitant to buy small and have to add a manifold and a clunky powerhead.
I am torn between the Eheim classic 250 and 350.
Would anyone like to share their thoughts or opions?
General rule is to take the amount of advertised flow per hour from a canister filter and divide it in half to get the actual flow when you consider media and head pressure. The 250 advertises 116 gallons per hour flow. The 350 advertises 163 gallons per hour of flow. Dividing those in half we get an expected 58 gallons per hour and 81 gallons per hour of actual flow respectively.

Another general rule of thumb is to have 4 to 8 times actual turn over in a planted tank. So your 12 gallon tank should have between 48 and 96 actual gallons per hour turnover.

Both filters could work for your tank but the 250 is on the low end. If you deciding between these 2 then I'd go with the 350. Hopefully this is helpful.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just for the record, which brand tank did you get and where from? Thanks!
I bought the Mr. Aqua version in the "float glass." 35.4" x 8.3" x 9.4"

I purchased from Aqua Lab Aquaria. Super helpful and transparent interaction with them, fyi.

General rule is to take the amount of advertised flow per hour from a canister filter and divide it in half to get the actual flow when you consider media and head pressure. The 250 advertises 116 gallons per hour flow. The 350 advertises 163 gallons per hour of flow. Dividing those in half we get an expected 58 gallons per hour and 81 gallons per hour of actual flow respectively.

Another general rule of thumb is to have 4 to 8 times actual turn over in a planted tank. So your 12 gallon tank should have between 48 and 96 actual gallons per hour turnover.

Both filters could work for your tank but the 250 is on the low end. If you deciding between these 2 then I'd go with the 350. Hopefully this is helpful.
It is very helpful! Thank you.

It sounds like I should really get a more powerful canister. Especially if I am looking for a moderate to high flow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Getting a river flow effect is not that simple. I recommend that you use a filter that allows 3 to 10 authentic water rotations in your tank (50% liters per hour, divided by the net content, liters, of your aquarium).
For the current or simulated river flow, I would use a powerful pump, with a vertical inlet at one end of the tank and a water outlet on the other. The pump with a minimum of 30 times the liters of your tank. For example, if you have 100 liters> 3000 liters of pump flow. As minimum!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,236 Posts
Eheim 2213 is plenty big enough for a 12gal long. Especially if you use the right outlet pipe. But...

I've used a slightly smaller Eheim (Ecco 2232, I think? I like it less than the Classics I have) on mine with a full-length spraybar for a decade and I still have to turn the flow down a bit to keep it from being too much. So a 2215 would likely let you do exactly what you want and give you plenty of options for filter media and pipes and such.

I have a 2215 on a 33gal long and it's perfect for crazy high flow. Easy to tweak with different outlet pipes. It's a foot longer than the 12gal but dimensions really aren't that different. Had a 2217 on it for a while but ultimately moved it to a large shrimp tub.

What kind of critters do you plan to keep in the tank, @Goodwood? What's the aquascape going to be like? Set up with smooth river stones and hillstreamers like loaches and gobies?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eheim 2213 is plenty big enough for a 12gal long. Especially if you use the right outlet pipe. But...

I've used a slightly smaller Eheim (Ecco 2232, I think? I like it less than the Classics I have) on mine with a full-length spraybar for a decade and I still have to turn the flow down a bit to keep it from being too much. So a 2215 would likely let you do exactly what you want and give you plenty of options for filter media and pipes and such.

I have a 2215 on a 33gal long and it's perfect for crazy high flow. Easy to tweak with different outlet pipes. It's a foot longer than the 12gal but dimensions really aren't that different. Had a 2217 on it for a while but ultimately moved it to a large shrimp tub.

What kind of critters do you plan to keep in the tank, @Goodwood? What's the aquascape going to be like? Set up with smooth river stones and hillstreamers like loaches and gobies?
Great info! I figured i should go bigger and manipulate the flow to my liking.

As far as the aquascape is concerned, I have a cool piece of Manzanita I plan to use. Really fine and delicate looking. And then i plan on adding smooth river rock and use some sort of sand. It will sort of look like a hillstream tank but have a few anubias and some java fern.

Have no idea for critters yet. I thought about Hillstream Loaches but, I think a twelve long is going to be too small for those guys. I have always wanted a swarm of neons or or white clouds with a few ottos, so this might be where I end up. I might just scrap the whole idea and put an Aquaclear 30 on it and fill it with guppies and Wisteria :D

Tomorrow is a different day!

·
Super Moderator
15,236 Posts
Hillstream Loaches could absolutely work in a 12gal long. Tons of surface area and easy to create lots of flow. Same for a really sassy cobalt blue goby or two. But I think loaches would be easier - especially if you have good lighting and work to cultivate aufwuchs.

If you're just going the White Cloud route, you definitely won't need anything bigger than a 2215. I'd argue you can just use standard lily pipes and have plenty of flow. And with White Clouds, you won't even have to consider a heater.

I know you're not keen on the idea of using a pump to supplement flow but I bet you could use a 2213 and get one of the super-tiny Hydor pumps and be more than okay. Hydor makes some that are reeeeeally tiny and easy to hide behind hardscape. You'd honestly never see them if you use a black background. Don't remember the model numbers of mine but I'm sure they're still readily available on the market.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Perhaps because of my poor English, but I had understood that our colleague was trying to simulate the flow of a river in his 12-gallon tank. If that is what you are looking for with a filter of those named it would not even approach the current of a river. If you simply want the water to have some movement, any of the aforementioned filters will be enough.
That is why he advised the use of a pump of at least 3000 liters to simulate the current of a river.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts