The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been lurking for a while in hopes of getting my first fully planted aquarium going. I need a few opinions on what I've gathered.

I plan on starting with 1 or 2 plant types, some sort of dwarf carpet or HC and a bit of hair grass to get me started.

What i want from the lights? I want the light to suit my minimal needs and be expandable for the future in case i want to do more with it.

These are the scenarios i thought of for my 36" set up and this is what i found so far. Preferred budget is < 80 but would go over if necessary for aesthetics since it's the main focus of my living room.

Over budget looks freakin cool:
Buy 1 to start and once it starts growing buy another and have them both next to each other.
http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_74&products_id=667

Under budget, heard bad reviews about the light (thoughts?).
36" 78W T5 HO Light Fixture Extendable Series
http://www.aquatraders.com/36-inch-2x39W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52122p.htm

x2 - Might not be enough coverage (ideas?)
http://www.finnex.net/index.php?pag...category_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=61

Not sure about this onoe, doesn't say the PAR output value.
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Freshwater-Bright-p/56204.htm

Over Budget but a consideration
http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticL...xtures-AquaticLife-AK01142-FILTFIT54U-vi.html

I'm also interested in re sale value, not sure how equipment works but in photography i can put in 1.5k on L series glass and it maintains it's resell value. So if i have to spend more to get that resell value i wouldn't mind.

Thanks everybody in advance!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I would do 3, 8 inch bayco worklights with 13 watt 6500K bulbs or if that seems like too much light do 2 work lights (either 8 inch or 10 inch) with 13 or 15 watt bulbs. The nice thing about work lights and CFLs is they aren't very expensive and its easy to reconfigure if you need more or less light.

Those plants will make a carpet faster in higher light and CO2 injection. Do you plan to inject CO2.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm no expert, but I'd think t5ho would be overkill on such a short tank.

A bunch of us use the marineland doublebright leds which rated by the manufacturer gives out 54 par at 12 inches.
Would it will be overkill if i only use 1 bulb?

I would do 3, 8 inch bayco worklights with 13 watt 6500K bulbs or if that seems like too much light do 2 work lights (either 8 inch or 10 inch) with 13 or 15 watt bulbs. The nice thing about work lights and CFLs is they aren't very expensive and its easy to reconfigure if you need more or less light.

Those plants will make a carpet faster in higher light and CO2 injection. Do you plan to inject CO2.
I will be getting a mid range Co2 system... Any light fixtures you'd recommend? I'm going for aesthetic and obviously function.

·
Administrator
17,840 Posts
Have you checked any of the 12gal long journals here on the forum? Nearly everything available on the market has been tried out.

I personally use the Marineland Double Bright fixture and have it raised a great deal above the tank for low light. You could rest it on top of the tank - or just above - and would need to dose EI and use pressurized CO2.

Not sure if aesthetics are a serious issue (I know you mentioned them) but if they are, you'll want to carefully consider any fixture thicker than the Marineland LED unit or your own DIY LED unit. Anything you get is going to be chunky and may distract from the eye.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!

Have you checked any of the 12gal long journals here on the forum? Nearly everything available on the market has been tried out.

I personally use the Marineland Double Bright fixture and have it raised a great deal above the tank for low light. You could rest it on top of the tank - or just above - and would need to dose EI and use pressurized CO2.

Not sure if aesthetics are a serious issue (I know you mentioned them) but if they are, you'll want to carefully consider any fixture thicker than the Marineland LED unit or your own DIY LED unit. Anything you get is going to be chunky and may distract from the eye.
I'm looking through all the threads and i'm narrowing it down to the Marineland DBF you mentioned. However, if i have to suspend it, it would cause more visual pollution/more equipment :hihi: and started thinking about the buying 2 ARCHAEA LED LIGHT Clamp ons. Looking at the specs, I think the only diff is 4mW in the LED'S.

Do you see me having an issue with this? This is where i'm willing to pay an extra $40 bucks for aesthetics. I think the clamp-ons will look better plus it naturally suspends the lights higher.

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_74&products_id=667

·
Administrator
17,840 Posts
The Archea LED fixture isn't going to do much for you. Another forum member tried one on an ADA Mini S and it was just... not cutting it.

The reality is you're going to have to suspend nearly any fixture you get if you don't want high light. The Double Bright is the slimmest fixture that's ready for use. Anything else is 2-3 times as thick.

Any fixture you get can be easily suspended by creating some arms/stands or hanging them from a shelf above the tank. Lots of great looking ways to do it so it doesn't detract from the visual impact of the tank.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I dismantled the clamp part of my bayco work lights and hung them from silver chain above the tank. I think it looks pretty good, but everyone has different opinions of aesthetics.

You can see how I have them hanging in my 40 gallon journal

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Looks great, kamikazi. Perfect example of how simple it is to light a tank on the cheap.
Thanks, one thng bothers me is the wires, I should run them along bar with zip ties and disguise them with the pothos.

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
What's the difference between using a 36" and two 18"? And wouldn't using just one bulb on a T5HO 36" be okay?
If you look at the second chart in this thread http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/105774-par-vs-distance-t5-t12-pc.html you can see that a single bulb T5HO on top of a 12 in tank height would be too high of light. A 12 long tank is even shorter in height so the problem is that much worse. You would need to have the a single bulb T5HO light raised at least 8-9 inches above the top of the tank to have high light.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Most lights you posted will work fine, except for the first archae, that is low light at best, and would not grow hc. Go with something you know others have had success with and call it a day. I prefer suspending all my lights above the tank, it provides 2 benefits. You can adjust the par by simply raising or lowering the light, and by having it suspended, gives a better spread. This is notably beneficial over this tank with the marineland double bright as its leds have a fairly narrow spread, most fluorescents shouldnt have this problem cause the lack of depth in the tank.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
So raising it about a foot above the tank would be ~med light? So where's the problem besides having to mount the light kind of high?
basically.

no problem, if you don't mind raising them

I prefer suspending all my lights above the tank, it provides 2 benefits. You can adjust the par by simply raising or lowering the light, and by having it suspended, gives a better spread. This is notably beneficial over this tank with the marineland double bright as its leds have a fairly narrow spread, most fluorescents shouldnt have this problem cause the lack of depth in the tank.
There is a 3rd benefit, a raised light can provide light to plants in riparium planters!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.