The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have been attempting to upgrade all my equipment for my aquariums, and have recently went to a full sized regulator and 20# co2 canister for my display tank, however I do own a 10 gallon grow out tank that I have setup my paintball co2 system for, I am looking for a solenoid that I can add to it since it does not have one. I have been attempting to find one for a couple days now but can't find anything under $40 that is wired for 110v, I only say under $40 because I can get a new dual stage paintball regulator with solenoid for $70 on ebay, granted its not name brand but the one I am using now isn't name brand and it has worked out fine with daily manually turning it on and off for the past 3 years.

Picture taken from google images.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stc makes a good one, I believe I saw it on one of the other threads here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Yeah it's, AlanLe's thread on testing out an affordable ss solenoid, I actually plan on getting one of these for myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I checked out STC and decided to go with one I found on eBay. It did not come pre-wired but I can handle that part. Including shipping it was around $15, which is not a bad price. Going to give it a try and let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Item number 321243686695, there is a drop down menu and you must select that you want the 110v version. It is coming from China so probably will take a little while to get here.
It doesn't list wattage consumption so chances are it's not low. This solenoid will probably get very hot and may burn out or even damage your regulator or needle valve.

Typically you need a solenoid that is rate for <= 3 watt and rated for continuous use.

Maybe you'll luck out.

[EDIT]: Looks like a 4w solenoid.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We will have to see when it get here I suppose. If it gets too hot I suppose I can always cycle it on and off, since it's just for a ten gallon grow out tank.

·
Registered
536 Posts
From Amazon review of what looks like the same solenoid:

The solenoid valve works great, but the threading it has is VERY difficult to find attachments for. It seems to be 5/16th's coarse thread. Save yourself the trouble and get one with 1/4 inch threading which seems to be the most common in your local home improvement store. I was able to rig something together from ACE but it's far from ideal and took the employee about an hour to get all the correct parts.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I have read the same thing, the one I bought comes with quick connectors that fits the standard tubbing, I will probably just connect it with a short piece of tubbing if I cannot get a brass fitting.

But if it is 5/16th threading can probably get a fitting for it online fairly easily I would think.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just as an update, my solenoid should be here soon, it takes a while to get stuff from China, but I have received everything else I ordered that day so I am thinking it will be here this upcoming week.

Got my bubble counter and steel one way valves in. Here's a picture of my PB regulator so far.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Just as an update, my solenoid should be here soon, it takes a while to get stuff from China, but I have received everything else I ordered that day so I am thinking it will be here this upcoming week.

Got my bubble counter and steel one way valves in. Here's a picture of my PB regulator so far.

A solenoid shouldn't work with that. One of three things is likely to happen.

1. The solenoid won't be able to stop the flow.
2. The solenoid will stop the flow but your tubing might blow off somewhere.
3. The solenoid will stop the flow but the pressure in the line will become too great and the line will rupture.

This is assuming that you run the solenoid in line.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We will see in a couple days I suppose. If it works out that would be awesome, if not no biggie, this is a fish less tank and I've been running the co2 24/7. But I am sure I can figure out a way to make it work nonetheless.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
The reason it shouldn't work is because you don't actually have a regulator there. That's just a asa on/off valve. You have the full pressure of the tank behind that needle valve. Most solenoids only stop about 100 psi.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The reason it shouldn't work is because you don't actually have a regulator there. That's just a asa on/off valve. You have the full pressure of the tank behind that needle valve. Most solenoids only stop about 100 psi.
^what oldpunk said... most low power solenoids are designed to work with 100 something psi. the pressure coming out of the paintball tank is 800 psi. The only paintball with solenoids you should be using are the leland ones, aquatek, intense (GLA). those either allow you to regulate the pressure or have a fixed pressure of ~40 psi

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Currently I don't have it open all the way, only have 200 psi running through the system, I will see this evening if I can back it down some more.

I found out about a year ago that I didn't have to have it open all the way, I kept blowing out the valve in my cheap plastic check valves, so I backed it down. The only time I open it all the way is when I check how much pressure is left in the tank.

Another idea would be to connect the inlet to the solenoid a brass or copper pipe, that should withstand 800 psi, then I can have my needle valve on the other side and run co2 tubing from there, that way when the solenoid turns off there's pressure in the co2 tubing except what is between the check valve and bubble counter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.