The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My tank that I originally had built for my reef tank that was never fully established was sitting in my garage gathering dust and cobwebs.

I've had the urge to startup a planted tank for some now and since we have made some progress with the renovations of our new house I thought that it would be a good time to start getting stuff together for when the lounge is finished. The tank measures 120cm long x 70cm wide x 60cm high. The front and sides are Diamante glass (starphire equivilant)

Here is a Pic of the tank, all dirty and lonely sitting on its back

I moved it inside last night and gave it a quick clean, took a bit of elbow grease to cut out the old overflow and get it prep'd for a test fill which will happen as soon as i plug the overflow hole in the base.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Is that a chip on the lower, front right (I think)?

Love the depth of the tank though!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah we moved house recenlty and that chip is the result of someone needing to put the tank down while we where moving it, but fortunatly it isnt noticable with the way i built the cabinet when the tank is setup properly

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Hopefully the strength isn't compromised because of the chip. It looks like a nice tank and will definately be a fun project. The setting up phase is one of my favorite parts! Keep us updated.
Oh, you also may consider using a good cleaning agent (baking soda?) or something that can get rid of residue and hard water spots, if that's what is on there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully the strength isn't compromised because of the chip. It looks like a nice tank and will definately be a fun project. The setting up phase is one of my favorite parts! Keep us updated.
Oh, you also may consider using a good cleaning agent (baking soda?) or something that can get rid of residue and hard water spots, if that's what is on there.
I admit that I was very nervous about the cleaning of the tank, and while i know using chemicals isn't a good idea I used some decent glass cleaner on it and it was a fairly painless job for the most part. I need to do a few more cleans to get it perfect but its at least heading in the right direction. (pics later tonight)

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think you should move the hammer to the furthest possible point from the tank... Just in case you meet a little frustration:icon_wink

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yea, but you're further complicating things by having to plug the hole, it's just another spot where the tank could possibly leak.
But anyway, it's your tank, not mine ,so do what you want. I'm sure it will turn out nice either way.

I agree though, the black part would take up some good space.
Plus the sump may make co2 levels hard to maintain.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, but you're further complicating things by having to plug the hole, it's just another spot where the tank could possibly leak.
But anyway, it's your tank, not mine ,so do what you want. I'm sure it will turn out nice either way.

I agree though, the black part would take up some good space.
Plus the sump may make co2 levels hard to maintain.
I actually wanted it simple, and reduce problems there is far more chance of leakage from my diy plumbing job than there is from a simple screw-in plug.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I would plumb the intake for the cannister off that hole:) maybe 4" above the substrate. One less thing-a-majig off the back of the tank!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Slowest journal ever i think. I've been purchasing new gear and renovating the house and it should all come together in the next few weeks. Quick update though.

I first gave the tank a bit of a clean

and here is my filter with my daughter standing in as the model (I think the large smile is because my wife is holding some food)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
here is a pic of the peice of wood that has been in the tank sinking for the last month

I also found a pic of the tank from before it was setup as a reef tank and it was shinely and new on its cabinet

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.