The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much time visiting this website I've finally decided to post a journal of one of my planted tank experiences.

Strictly I want this to just be a shrimp tank, I was thing maybe a fire red, rili, or even CRS tank would be nice.

A bit of research went into finding the perfect tank. I went with a TrueAqua 11 gallon rimless tank.

[/URL][/IMG]

after I measured the bottom of my stand, i cut up an old yoga mat to be used as a cushion.

Now I have it all set up and cleaned, looks pretty nice so far!

[/URL][/IMG]

The photos above are from about 2 months ago, so flash forward to today:

equipment:

-11 G TrueAqua rimless tank
-PX-360 Finnex Canister filter
-15 watt heater
- Finnex fuge ray II daylight led fixture
- AQUATEK CO2 Regulator Mini RUNNING off a 20 OZ CO2 tank

Substrate:

- one 2" bottom layer of fine sand topped by a 4-5" layer mix of mr.Aqua shrimp sand and fluval shrimp stratum.

Flora:

-Dwarf Baby tears
-Tall hair grass
-Crypt Wendtii Green
-ROTALA INDICA
- Dwarf ambulia

Fauna:

- a couple of nerite snails
-soon hopefully a nice stock of shrimp

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

more pictures and updates to come ;)

Attachments

· Registered
520 Posts
Wow tank looks awesome. Very nice. :D

I been wondering about that 11g tank from TrueAqua.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
small update :)

Did a water change and trim the other night. these plants have been growing like weeds lately! I put a bunch in my 5 gallon grow out tank.
:smile: next trimming I'll probably post some for sale :smile:

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

coming on out!
[/URL][/IMG]

right now I've had a massive invasion of ramshorn snails looking snails, and their definitely helping keep my tank nice and clean but I'm afraid they might take over the tank soon. I'll probably pick up an assassin snail to help control the population.
[/URL][/IMG]

can anyone help me identify what kind of snails these little suckers are?
[/URL][/IMG]

oh and my nerite snails have been leaving funky little eggs on my rocks. Its pretty hard to scrap off their little presents!

[/URL][/IMG]

Any advice for getting rid of these funky egg things?

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honestly I want to start with a pretty hardy shrimp like the cherries, but I'm so tempted to jump into the more exotic types such as the CRS or Rili variety. I've kept a large amount of amano shrimp in the past so I have some kinda experience.

I'm also trying to find a good breeder and haven't run across any journals that talk about that.

· Administrator
18,206 Posts
Amano Shrimp aren't really bred in captivity, so you'd have to buy them from someone like Rachel/msjinkzd (she's a forum sponsor - check out her subsection).

As far as Rili go, they're not really exotic. Same species at Red Cherry Shrimp, so they'll thrive in the same conditions. Could definitely start with Rili or any other Neo - like Painted Fire Red, Pumpkin, et al.

Honestly I want to start with a pretty hardy shrimp like the cherries, but I'm so tempted to jump into the more exotic types such as the CRS or Rili variety. I've kept a large amount of amano shrimp in the past so I have some kinda experience.

I'm also trying to find a good breeder and haven't run across any journals that talk about that.

· Registered
366 Posts
Nerite eggs drive us insane as well. We just gave up on using them in nano tanks due to that issue. We rely on otos and shrimp for algae control. I don't seem to mind them in larger tanks that are less manicured, but scaped tanks the issue is a constant battle. Bleach dipping the stones makes them go away, but it becomes a huge pain over many months and eventually I just give up.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats actually who I bought my Amano shrimp from the first time around, she has a great stock. I'll have to check if she has any rili.

I am actually leaning more towards the painted fire red shrimp. maybe some tiger shrimp, from what I've heard they don't interbreed with the fire reds but I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.