The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a 2.5 gal tank for shrimp, all mosses in it, maybe some floating cardamine, and I might plant a cutting of Hydra, so nothing high or even medium light. The clamp on light I have will have the bulb sitting sideways over the tank, 12" from the substrate. Should I go with a 10w or 15w 6500k daylight bulb for it?

The fixture does not have a reflector so should I go higher wattage or try and find a bulb for my 15" fluorescent?

·
Registered
288 Posts
we have a 13W compact fluorescent lamp (came with a fluval ebi) over our 2.5G shrimp tank with baby tears, java moss, banana plants and riccia; they've all been growing fine!

·
Registered
401 Posts
if you don't plan on growing any plants demanding high lights, i dont' see any reason to waste energy/money with high watt bulbs. go with lower watts , i think they sell 9w CFL at home depot.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I bought a clip on lamp to have a reflector and 13w and 23w bulbs to try out both, but I can't fit the clip on lamp on my desk where the tank is, so I kept the old clip on lamp that fits in the space, put a 23w bulb in it, horizontal, with no reflector, so I am probably in the 30-40 par range. I'm going to try adding something above the light on the wood from the desk with it has about 3" clearance for a little bit of a reflector but other than that, I'm fine. I'm only doing this for mostly moss, maybe a few floating plants, which will be 6" higher towards the light to account for no reflector, and I should be ok. I'll just to watch the plants and see how they do and switch to a 13w or point the light a bit lower or switch it out eventually but for now we'll see how the moss does with it and I still have to let the tank cycle anyways, so I got time before I put any plants or any livestock in it. It does like it up nicely though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts