The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would it be cheaper to buy a complete system online w/regulater, solenoid, etc. or but each item individually from different sources??? if individually, can you direct me to the correct websites with model/item? thanx...putting together 40 breeder tank and need CO2 for high light system

·
Registered
273 Posts
the Rex Grigg regulator with the NV-55 is a good deal - bestaquariumregulator.com

Hoppy has a pretty good build thread :HERE

If you find out how much you will spend on a solenoid, needle valve and such you can search for a good deal on a quality regulator. I ended up buying my solenoid from Rex, my needle valve at Fabco's website, and my regulator on eBay. 45 for the cornelius reg, around 25 shipped for needle valve. Check out the victor thread, it's closed now but plenty of good info....VICTOR

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm new to the pressurized CO2...i've been doing DIY CO2 the last year...what exactly are all the parts that I need??? i'm only familiar with a CO2 cylinder, regulator, and solenoid...please educate me:icon_conf

·
Registered
392 Posts
Here's the parts you'll need and what they do:

Cyinder: Holds the CO2
Regulator: One gauge will tell you how much pressure is left in the cylinder and the other will tell you how much pressure is going through the CO2 lines (assuming you'll have a dual gauge regulator, like the one listed on Rex's site)
Solenoid: On/off switch for CO2 via an electromagnet controlled valve
Needle Valve: Gives you finer control of the CO2 going into your tank. The low pressure side of the regulator won't give you fine enough control.
Check Valve: Stops water from your tank from siphoning back into your CO2 tank
Drop Checker: Let's you monitor the amount of CO2 in your tank.
pH Controller (optional): This is a pH probe that you will put in your tank that will tell the solenoid to switch on or off depending on the pH of your tank (used for controlling the amount of CO2 in your tank. I don't use one, but some people do).

This should help clear up some of your confusion, but if you're still looking for more information, search any of these items and you should be able to get much more information.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks isu! In your setup, did you buy the whole system as a package??? or did you look for the parts individually???

Here's the parts you'll need and what they do:

Cyinder: Holds the CO2
Regulator: One gauge will tell you how much pressure is left in the cylinder and the other will tell you how much pressure is going through the CO2 lines (assuming you'll have a dual gauge regulator, like the one listed on Rex's site)
Solenoid: One/off switch for CO2 via an electromagnet controlled valve
Needle Valve: Gives you finer control of the CO2 going into your tank. The low pressure side of the regulator won't give you fine enough control.
Check Valve: Stops water from your tank from siphoning back into your CO2 tank
Drop Checker: Let's you monitor the amount of CO2 in your tank.
pH Controller (optional): This is a pH probe that you will put in your tank that will tell the solenoid to switch on or off depending on the pH of your tank (used for controlling the amount of CO2 in your tank. I don't use one, but some people do.

This should help clear up some of your confusion, but if you're still looking for more information, search any of these items and you should be able to get much more information.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I pieced it together. If I can remember correctly, I think I got the cylinder at a local welding supply shop, the regulator and solenoid together off ebay, the needle valve off ebay, and the drop checker and check valve at the lfs.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
It's been a while, so I'm not sure if all of these places are the cheapest anymore, but these are some good places to get stuff:

Milwaukee regulator/solenoid/needle valve/ bubble counter from
www.water-testers.com

CO2 cylinder from www.beveragefactory.com or look around locally. Usually, local is the best way to get a cylinder. Usually cheaper or at least comes filled with co2.

Other than that you only need a way to inject it. You can use a ceramic disc diffuser, cheap on ebay and you'll need some airline tubing.

Finally, without a drop checker, you're flying blind. Search "drop checker" on ebay, you can get one for about $13/shipped. You can probably get the diffuser from the same seller and save on shipping.

It won't be the top of the line equipment, but it'll give you a pressurized system for under $170.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.