The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for fun and to make use of my 10gal

is it possible to breed guppies in a 10 gal with only a sponge filter and plants as a source of filtration with no heater?

This'll be my first time breeding fish and so I thought I'd start off with what seems to be the most easy/hardy fish to breed.

I'm assuming the fry can handle crushed up fish flakes and won't need special fry food?

What is a good starter number? and what complications should I be prepared for?

Any replies are appreciated. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It is very possible! If you have other fish though, I would suggest removing them, as they will eat the fry. Also, do you want a lot of fry to survive? if so, plant the tank with lots of easy bushy plants, it shall give the fry a place to hide from any predators, whether they exist or not. Crushed up flake food works just fine, just make sure it is really fine. You can role without a heater for breeding hem, I did up until about a week ago, the fry will grow slower though, as their metabolisms will slow down in the cooler temperatures. If you want some reallly nice looking guppies, stick with only one strain or colour type. Over time, the colours in the fish will enhance, and you'll end up with some spectacular guppies. Finally, do you plan on selling them at all? To turn a profit? What will you do with the excess babies, as if you're continuously allowing them to breed, you will get a lot of fry. :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll probably throw in a bunch of duckweed for floating plant cover (and it'll help water quality) along with clumps of java moss for cover in the lower section of the tank.

and I don't plan on turning a profit or selling them. I'll probably just give excess offspring away for free on a local fish forum.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Guppys will breed in a glass of water, no problem with that.

Unless you are getting top notch strains to breed, you will have a hard time even giving them away. Endlers on the other hand, are always in demand.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
SINcity pretty much summed up what I was going to say. Just thinking ahead what will you do with the fry if you can't give them away? Would you keep them? If you can't give them away you could try given them to one of your LFS. Sorry just thinking way ahead.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Endlers are debated to be more prolific than guppies because they have a shorter gestation period. They have similar needs and are smaller which allows for more fish per gallon. I recommend starting with pure endlers because they can easily be sold because if anyone wants endlers they want pure ones. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me any questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts