The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I have some brown algae(when pulled out and placed on a paper towel it looks green) that has been plaguing my3 month old tank. I did do a blackout for 3 days and that seemed to get rid of it.
I’m not sure what it is but I really don’t think it’s diatoms. I have cardinal tetras, a few Otocinclus, and a few amano shrimp.
The base layer is fluval stratum and on top was some sort of lava rocks that I got from my LFS.

I have a chihiros wrgb 2 light and a fzone co2. Lighting is about 6-7 hours at 90 intensity. Previously I was using a lifeguard aquatics 18 led light.

I’m not sure what could be causing it. The hob filter is an aquaclear 20 in the back middle. The front plants seem to get the most of it. All plants tend to sway.
Any ideas what could be causing this or what I should do? I keep the temp around 73 F

this was shortly after I replanted the carpeting plants and added co2

Thanks for any advice or direction!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
If I were going to submit a picture of a tank with diatoms, I don't think that I could find a better picture than what you've posted. I suggest that you start with the assumption that they are diatoms, exhaust the methods for addressing it, and then pursue other possibilities.

Start here: Diatoms, and here: More Diatoms

Reactions: Bhack27

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I were going to submit a picture of a tank with diatoms, I don't think that I could find a better picture than what you've posted. I suggest that you start with the assumption that they are diatoms, exhaust the methods for addressing it, and then pursue other possibilities.

Start here: Diatoms, and here: More Diatoms
Thank you for the response! I will read them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Suck them with a turkey baster, I like to do it with green algae it's relaxing. You should also have fast growing plants at the back, at least the time the tank establish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts