The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- this is my first post and I'm just so happy to have found your forum!

I've had fish on and off most of my life but my daughter wants to set up her own planted, low-tech 10g. She is enthralled with endlers and also would like to keep some sort of shrimp in her tank, which she is setting up tomorrow. I'm not familiar with either of these critters.

My concern is overpopulation. I'm wondering if there is a bigger tankmate she could keep with the endlers that would keep the number of fry down, yet not disturb the adults or shrimp. Any suggestions?

I was thinking a betta but that would be hit or miss. An angel? Kind of big for the tank and I bet it would eat all the shrimp...

Finally, where can we find some pure wild strain endlers? There are some at a LFS that are hybrids unfortunately. My daughter is also on a budget so that would be an issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give us!

·
Registered
344 Posts
An angelfish would definitely become too large for a 10g. I think pretty much anything that will eat Endler fry will also eat the shrimp. Even as small as endlers are they'll eat baby shrimp.

You could try getting just males to deal with the population issue. (I've got pure black bar endlers. Pretty cheap too. <wink, wink> I keep them with RCS and have tons of both.)

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have pure endler's, mixed black bar and peacock, as well as blondes (no black pigment, mainly red on white bodies w/dark eyes) available. I may also still have a single Akysis catfish if the zebra knife hasn't eaten it, will have to check on that one. Akysis are similar to bumblebee cats in appearance, but don't grow large enough to eat anything larger than fry. Larger juvies or adult endler's are safe, not sure about shrimp though.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, thank you! She is setting up her tank today with eco-complete. I'm getting varied advice- some say with this stuff the tank doesn't have to be cycled, and some say it still does, but if it does, it will be a bit before we can order any fish. She also needs to decide if she wants to go with all males to avoid the breeding issue altogether, or whether she wants the "thrill" of seeing babies...

I know with my koi it's not so thrilling to see babies in the pond time after time after time!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem solved! She has decided to go with all males, and wants to get the ones at the LFS. The owner was so wonderful, patient and helpful with her that she can't wait to go back (an hour's drive though, not so "L"...oof).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.