The Planted Tank Forum banner

Favorite plant?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know if I can add more plants to my tank. I currently have 5 primrose, 1 java fern, 2 small algae balls, and a 3 inch long guppy grass.馃悷

Registered
It's honestly a combination of researching plant types and trial and error. Some plants don't like to touch each other, others will grow entangled with each other. Some will just decide they don't like you and just die. I, personally, usually try to fill a much of my tank as I can with plants other than a small area in the front of the tank. Do you have a pic of the density of planting currently?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oops sorry the file adding thing on this is weird dint mean to have more than 3 pics

Registered
Lol all good, I've had issues like that- one of my posts in my tank journal thread double posted a picture and put a 2nd picture in as a thumbnail instead of a full shot. Cute glo tetra!! I'm currently waiting on a 10 gallon dennerle scapers kit. I've made the decision to attempt a shrimp tank lol. You would honestly be surprised at the amount of plants you can fit in a 10 gallon. Just make sure to do some research on the plants you want and make sure they are compatible with your lighting and fert situation and have fun experimenting!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:) I was maybe gonna get some water sprite, where can i come across some?

I named all of them, want to know what their names are?

Registered
Water sprite can usually be found it box stores like petco, plus you can probably find some through local aquarium groups for free. Lol I can't believe you named them. Sure- I'll bite- what's their names? I only have 2 named residents in my tank- both if my nerite snails are named Gary lol

Registered
I have named plecos, they are all babies! oldest is around five months(totally guessing here)
Merlin: Clown Pleco Age: three and a half months
Rose: Albino Bristlenose Pleco Age: one month
Atlas: Bristlenose Pleco Age: five months

Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
from the photos you can add more plants for sure. i'm going to guess that the tank is using the LED lights in the cover that it came with. So it's going to be low light. You will want some easier low light plants. Since there seems to be little to no light in the upper, back corners you will want taller plants centered a bit.

Cryptocorynes or "Crypts" are great for this. They won't get that tall either so they will be nice mid ground plants. They will likely melt off, but the leaves will grow back. this is a slow growing plant, so it will take time. I recommend that you put in some root tabs every month or every 3 weeks or so in the substrate for the plants.

ANyway, there are a lot of low light plants. If the ones you have are growing and they have been in for a month then others should be okay. Plants will melt off and then regrow. so don't pull them asap if they start to "die".

and just google some low light plants. also, would recommend a new light to be honest, just off the pictures shown... but without just do your research on low light, hardy plants.

Having said this. I agree with @Plinkploop, Plants in every tank can be hit or miss. This could be because of the water parameters, the light, or even the conditions they were shipped. The more light, the better chances of success you'll have.

Registered
Favorite plant?
  • Primrose
    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Java Fern
    Votes: 00.0%
  • Guppy Grass
    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Aponogeton
    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Amazon Sword
    Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Duck Weed
  • Algae Balls
  • Red Lily Pad
looks like we have some amazon sword people here

Registered
Favorite plant?
  • Primrose
    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Java Fern
  • Guppy Grass
  • Aponogeton
    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Amazon Sword
    Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Duck Weed
  • Algae Balls
  • Red Lily Pad
looks like we have some amazon sword people here
Swords are beautiful and there's so many varieties- I do want to put out the disclaimers that sword plants 100% NEED root tabs and decently deep substrate in low tech (non walstad/ dirted) tanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got some floating cabbage (i think its called that) and horn wart! looks ssssssoooooooooooo cool in my tank! :love::love::love::love:

Registered
馃槅馃榿馃憤 I like water cabbage better!! You've officially given me a new reference name for water lettuce!! 100% water cabbage from here on out in my world!! I'm glad you got some floaters!! They will to well and help maintain tank balance, since they are floaters you don't have to worry about co2 (surface leaves will grab it from the air) and they are excellent ammonia trappers. So glad you're not discouraged by the process 鉂

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
馃槅馃榿馃憤 I like water cabbage better!! You've officially given me a new reference name for water lettuce!! 100% water cabbage from here on out in my world!! I'm glad you got some floaters!! They will to well and help maintain tank balance, since they are floaters you don't have to worry about co2 (surface leaves will grab it from the air) and they are excellent ammonia trappers. So glad you're not discouraged by the process 鉂
馃槤馃槤馃槤馃槤馃槤馃槤馃槤

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.