The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 guppies, 1 mystery snail, 1 nerite snail, a 4 female bettas, & assorted plants in a 10G tank!
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean besides guppies, what other fish could I keep? I've looked into getting neon tetras, pea puffers, figure-8 puffers, and Golden Wonder Killifish (although, I might decide against this fish because I don't want a constant chance of losing a fish to it jumping...), and if not, Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish. I'd like ideas for both a stand-alone species (like my guppy tank, besides a mystery snail and 2 nerite snails) tank or a community tank (I've failed with paradise gouramis). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
130 Gallon High Tech Under Construction
67 Posts
Personally I like celestial pearl danios, chili rasboras, or a high end male beta (order online there are some stunning ones out there). Killi fish have a lot of personality so id not overlook those, getting a lid isnt too hard. Any of these could be in small groups except the beta and potentially the killi (i cant remember if they do well in groups). A few chilli rasboras and then a few celestial danios with some shrimp and snails would look great.

Also I forgot to mention that Dwarf Neons will be too big and need more swimming space than a 10 gallon can offer.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Least killifish, any of the nano rasbora, most rice fish, pygmy cory, a trio of hatchets (but they jump), pencil fish (some), kelly blue tetra, green tetra- I could go on and on lol- these are the schoolers I can think of. Stand alone/ pair- betta, scarlet badis, american flagfish, nano stone cats, then there's the inverts lol- dwarf crawfish, any type of shrimp, fiddler crabs....

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Literally any of the nano fish. Scarlet badis and sparkling gouramis have caught my eye recently.

What're your thoughts on some of the annual killifish? E b a y recommended me some really beautiful killi species, and they're just...ugh I want them.

I've found that puffers are just way too messy of eaters. I wouldn't keep a figure 8 in anything less than a 20H.

indostomus sticklebacks are pretty cool.

What are your thoughts on other livebearers? Micropoecilia picta is a fish I haven't heard of in a while. Least killis are also cool. ANd one can't forget Endler's livebearers as well.

·
Registered
16 guppies, 1 mystery snail, 1 nerite snail, a 4 female bettas, & assorted plants in a 10G tank!
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Swamp guppies are so expensive! Oh gosh-

Reactions: ichthyogeek

·
Registered
biOrb LIFE 45 L, planted, EI dosing, CO2 injected
20 Posts
I have both rummy nosed tetras (Rummy-nosed tetra | Fireplace aquarium) and five-banded barbs (Five-banded barb | Fireplace aquarium) and they're great in my 10 gal (45L) setup. They are very social and happy school with each other. Just be sure you don't get tiger barb (4 stripes) instead because they can get nippy. Previously I've had cherry barbs and harlequin rasboras and they're also nice. Otocinclus catfish are doable but are more sensitive than the others so trickier to keep happy. I like the suggestions of those above as well - lots of great choices for smaller tank sizes!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been looking at possibly getting honey gouramis or just using the tank as a fry holding tank! I honestly don't like the look of a hatchetfish, & swamp guppies are so expensive compared to endlers and fancy guppies!

So, to simplify this post, I'm going to decide to stock the tank with either:
  • 2 Honey Gouramis
  • Any Guppy Fry
  • 6 Microrasbora Kobutai
  • 4 Five-Banded Barb
  • 3-5 Pencilfish
  • 8-10 Neon Tetras
  • 6 Pygmy Corydoras
  • 2-3 Least/Golden Wonder Killifish.
Deciding if I want a community tank or just a stand-alone species tank is gonna be hard.

Please include your input in the poll! 10G Stocking Poll

Reactions: Plinkploop

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think a 10 gallon is a good opportunity for a species tank... Just sayin :)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I'd do a species tank, but double whatever nano fish you were planning on. For example, you could easily do 12 pygmy corys in a 10 (possibly 20 but let's wait a bit on that).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts