The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really leaning towards pea puffers and pygmy cory with couple amanos.
What kind of combination could I put? 5 puffers, 5 pygmy, 5-6 amanos?

Also the tank is right next to my desktop ( > 1m) where I work 10h+ everyday. Is my proximity + chair movement going to stress the fish? It'll be a heavily planted tank with bushy rotala background so they'll have room to hide.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a puffer as well. Not sure how 5 puffers would do in a 10 gallon and with amanos. I'm sure someone has tried. Maybe they can offer some first hand advise.

Reactions: SpiderManBearPig

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd do 3 puffers max in a 10G. They can get pretty territorial, so want to let them have their own space. Amanos are pretty big so they may be able to survive but my puffers are murder machines that kill whatever I put in the tank. Not sure how they do with cories but I'd probably go with a species only tank to be sure. Puffers need quite a bit of filtration anyway.

EDIT: Also keeping them that close to your desk won't be an issue, they'll be a little skittish for a while but they'll get used to you. Mine would swim to the front whenever he saw me in hopes of food.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
So uhhh, how big is the tank?

I think you could get away with 10 pygmy corydoras, but 5 amano shrimp sounds about right for a 10. The problem is the pea puffers. 4 might be a good option.

Proximity+ chair movement shouldn't disturb the fish too much after a while. They might get spooked a little at the beginning, but then realize it's just you doing you stuff.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your answers, after reading more about pea puffers behavior I think I'll go for something less complicated,
So uhhh, how big is the tank?
It's a 60 litters(~16G) but there should be around a third of it gone from hardscape and technical, so I'm aiming at 40L / 10G not to take risks.
I think you could get away with 10 pygmy corydoras, but 5 amano shrimp sounds about right for a 10. The problem is the pea puffers. 4 might be a good option.
After consideration I think I could go for like 6 CPD + 5 amano, or 6 pygmy corys + amano. I'd love to have a mix of CPD and corys, but I don't want to push it and I know you and others recommend a species only tank. Would 6 corys, 6 CPD (if I can't find the CPD in my LFS I might swap for cherry barbs) and 5 amanos work? I don't have much experience with keeping fish so I don't wanna torture them.

Proximity+ chair movement shouldn't disturb the fish too much after a while. They might get spooked a little at the beginning, but then realize it's just you doing you stuff.
Good to hear ! What about music? can I still play some on my speakers or the vibrations should be avoided? I guess I'll see quickly how the fish respond to it

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank? That could also help with stocking advice.

6 pygmys and 6 cpds plus 5 amanos sounds like a good idea, but cherry barbs in my opinion would get too big for the tank. I would aim for another nano sized fish if you can’t find cpds, like chili rasboras; alternatively, you could wait until the store gets the fish you want back in stock.

I wouldn’t blast heavy bass music like edm or anything from giant speakers, but if you’re playing regular low level music I see no problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are the dimensions of the tank? That could also help with stocking advice.
It's a 60cm long, 30 deep and 30 high, (inches ~24*12*12) and it has a built in vertical plastic space for filter/heater( size 10cmx10x30 high, so about 1G lost for this)
I plan on having a slopped hardscape of about 30cmx30cmx10cm so another ~3G lost, that would round it up to 10G of actual space for the fish, heavily planted.

Do you recommend that I add them slowly, maybe in a particular order? Or just all of them together in one shot when the tank is cycled (I don't have anything to serve as a quarantine tank)
6pygmys + 6 cpd + 5 amanos would be amazing, I'm a tad scared of overcrowding it, what would you do?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
To be very honest, when I've kept small schools of pygmy corys (6-8) in a standard 10 gallon (20"x10"x12" = 50cmx20cmx30cm), they've always gotten lost and I've rarely seen them. This doesn't really apply to CPDs, but I personally think you could up the school amounts to 8 of each fish. 5 amanos is a good starting point. I keep 8 in my 20L and that seems like a lot of shrimp.

You're not going to see a lot of aggression between the species. I would add them one group at a time (for example, all the pygmy corys at once, then all the cpds at once, then all the amanos at once).

You have a lot of tank footprint to play with with nano fish, so starting out with 6 pygmy corys, 6 cpds, and 5 amanos should be a good choice at this point.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Amazing, thanks a lot for the help, highly appreciated !

One last question, I intend to add DIY CO2, and so far I struggled to keep a consistent CO2 level on my other tank, would that possibly harm them? I guess with the PH variations?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Amazing, thanks a lot for the help, highly appreciated !

One last question, I intend to add DIY CO2, and so far I struggled to keep a consistent CO2 level on my other tank, would that possibly harm them? I guess with the PH variations?
I don’t do CO2, @Deanna ?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
No: any CO2-driven pH changes won't affect the fish. However, the tendency toward high inconsistency with DIY CO2 is likely to harm your plants and make algae very happy.

Reactions: SpiderManBearPig
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.