The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is starting to warm up here in Chicago. Until I switch on A/C, the room that contains my son's 10gal RCS tank is now getting up to about 80-81 degrees during the day (2nd floor, southern exposure), returning to around 76 overnight. Is this a problem, and if so, what should I be doing about it short of air conditioning the entire house when it really does not need it yet?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
It is starting to warm up here in Chicago. Until I switch on A/C, the room that contains my son's 10gal RCS tank is now getting up to about 80-81 degrees during the day (2nd floor, southern exposure), returning to around 76 overnight. Is this a problem, and if so, what should I be doing about it short of air conditioning the entire house when it really does not need it yet?
I think it should be okay.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What behavior change, if any, should I expect if the water is too warm? One of the reasons I ask is that I have about 4 medium size (3/4") shrimp that really seem to be active. Everyone else is minding their usual business. 1 is a saddled female. I presume the others are male as they are barely colored, and certainly do not have saddled. Wondered if this is too warm of water, or has something to do with mating behavior. Water temp is currently approx 82.

·
Registered
464 Posts
many people will disagree with me, but I don't use a heater in well... any of my tanks, except during the coldest parts of the winter. I assume that the waters in their natural habitat will fluctuate over the course of the day or during rainy seasons or... you get the picture. Sure, a 10 gal tank will cool down faster than a river would, but as long as it's gradual, there should be no problems.

·
Registered
477 Posts
What type of shrimp do you have? Red cherries? If so, that temperature is fine for them. If it's a Caridina sp. it'll need a stable lower temperature around 72F.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was not worried about the fluctuation, I was concerned that the temperature was too high. What should I consider to be an upper limit before I should start getting concerned about losses?

·
Registered
514 Posts
have you thought about installing a fan, two computer fans could cool your tank down maybe 3+/-

i had a couple of cherries place in my cichlid tank and they manage to survive in the 81-83 just fine, they manage to live for two month healthy and saddled. so i would say high 80's or low 90's would be the limit....i could be wrong

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a small 10 gallon tank with a fluorescent lighted hood that covers the entire top. Water temp is about the same as room temperature. Not sure how I would rig fans, and would it really lower the temperature BELOW the room temperature?

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is a small 10 gallon tank with a fluorescent lighted hood that covers the entire top. Water temp is about the same as room temperature. Not sure how I would rig fans, and would it really lower the temperature BELOW the room temperature?
Yes, by increasing evaporation, you would decrease the temperature of the water past that of the room theoretically. Whether or not the computer fans are actually up to the task of lowering it a significant amount I don't know.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have south facing windows and am on second floor. I keep the blinds drawn and windows wide open. It has been nice inside, and the temps havnt gone up in teh tanks yet. I have 2 (shrimp tanks) with heaters and one open top with none. But yeah, put an AC in the window if you are worried ot have fans on top. I will be putting in the AC in a few weeks so my salamanders stay happy. So if you do not want to AC the whole house, put a window unit in the room the tanks are kept in. If you have central AC and good temp control, I wouldnt worry about it until it is time to AC the whole place for the lovely Chicago weather in August.

·
Registered
514 Posts
ditto on what Chrona said

if it's one of those 10gal starter set then you can just make a hole and mount the fan on the outside of the hood, how nice it will come out depends on how well your craftsmanship is.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Window unit is not an option. I have central A/C, but this room is one of the extremes all year round. Once the a/c is running, the room will not be as warm as it is right now. If 80, or even 82 is not a problem, then I will not worry about it. If that is pushing a danger range, I can try try the fan idea. I'm not much of an electrician, are people just powering those little PC fans with its own cord, or splicing it into the hood wiring?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just thought I would post an update here. I picked up an inexpensive 4" fan at a local department store (Meijer). The leg design was such that I could set it on top of the hood's fluorescent light, and aim the fan straight down at the water surface after removing the hinged part of the hood. In a VERY short amount of time (1-2 hours), the water temperature dropped from 82F (room's temperature) to 76F. Evaporation was noticeable, but it did the trick. Not sure this is a long term solution, but for a few months of the year when I might need to cool the tank, it was nice to see that a simple, low-tech approach can easily solve the problem! Next, I'm going to try simply aiming the fan from the side so that it blows across the water instead of down.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread (if that's a problem), but here's my way of cooling down a tank. Find a way to tie a frozen water bottle to the filter output. That way the output will disperse it throughout the tank:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts