The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the 10g from my 55g bowfront setup. It's the bottom one seen here:

A couple months ago my 2yr old busted the side out of it spilling plants and snails all over my floor:mad: Luckily my buddy mdixon had a donar tank of the same dimensions, with the bottom busted out. Just what I needed, so I brought it home and dismantled it. In the process I realized I was gonna have to de-rim both tanks in the area I needed to work in. This prompted me to de-rim the good 10g, so:
De-rimmed and ready for clean-up. Found it easier to use a new razor in a scraper body rather than an ols used blade by itself.

Cleaned, taped, and ready for assembly.

Assembled and applying pressure until dry. Remove the tape QUICKLY after running your bead or it will stick like mine did, didn't get it fast enough. No big deal, just had to score the edge to get the tape off.

Done, filled, with my clippings added. Had to get them out of my tank, they were blocking my light from the plants in the 55.

I think it made the overall look of the entire system much nicer.

Next I am going to cut out one of the sides from my donar tank, take it down the road to the glass shop, and have them cut me a lid out of it. Then I plan on adding a moss wall on the left to block the sight of my equipment in the 10g. After that I am going to come up with a way to hide the filter in the bottom left, as well as the immediate top area of the 10g where the light is. This should make my setup look pretty good. What do you think?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good job on the repair. I like the sounds of your plans.
Thanks, I worked really hard on it and think it turned out really nice. Gonna work on trying to get the rest covered up for my pictures for the AGA aquascaping competition in a few days.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is in the jars in the bottom tank?
The jars contain my different types of mosses I am growing out. I have Java, Fissidens, Christmas, and Weeping moss. This was what I came up with to keep them all seperated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am thinking of de-rimming a 10g I have. Just haven't made the jump yet. Kinda scares me, LOL.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am thinking of de-rimming a 10g I have. Just haven't made the jump yet. Kinda scares me, LOL.
If you plan on doing this, the one (first) thing you need to do is not be scared. There are enough people in here that have done it to be able to get all the suggestions you will need to do the job. You need to feel comfortable and confident for the job. I HAD to do this to fix my tank, so that is where my confidence came from. I knew I had to do it and I did. That is kind of the confidence you need to have to get the job done without cracking your tank.

The next thing you will need is a really sharp blade. Be confident and patient with the job, it is definitely worth it in the end. If you need any suggestions refer here before you get yourself into trouble. It is better to research than to jump in head first and trash your tank, there are more than a few that have cracked their tank in the process.

Other than that, I say go for it. Like I said, the reward is great and offers the looks of a really nice and expensive tank. If you need to get someone to be there with you, physically, than do it and good luck. When you do, though, take some pics for us so we can see that awesome tank.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Great job derimming and fixing up your 10 gallon tank. Was it easy to get the silicon off the base of the 10 gallon? I've heard people had issues with this part. Also, did you re-silicon all the seems or just the new pane? (Btw.. how did a 2 year old smash through glass :O?)

I like your idea of growing out the mosses seperately. Do they do well in those little jars? Does enough circulation go into the 10 gallon?

What are you ideas on covering up the filtration? Maybe installing some type of door so you can close it but still have easier access. Do you want people to see the 10 gallon as well? If so maybe you would want to redesign that stand so the front support isn't overlapping with the 10 gallon. But that would be TONS of work since your bowfront is up there...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great job derimming and fixing up your 10 gallon tank. Was it easy to get the silicon off the base of the 10 gallon? I've heard people had issues with this part. Also, did you re-silicon all the seems or just the new pane? (Btw.. how did a 2 year old smash through glass :O?)
Thank you, I was really proud of it and wish I still had it. The silicone wasn't a problem with a sharp razor scraper and a lot of patience. I only did the one pane, as this was a new tank before it was broken. How it was broke? I still don't know. I think he hit it with something, or threw something at it, but am just not sure.

I like your idea of growing out the mosses seperately. Do they do well in those little jars? Does enough circulation go into the 10 gallon?
The moss did do well in there. Before I put it in there the jars were sitting on a shelf in my window sill. I read that it was easy to grow moss this way, but it just didn't work for me and the moss started dying. Once I put them in the tank I noticed alot of new growth this way.
The circulation was fine. I was using an HOB filter and just filled the tank up a little higher than where the water came off the filter. This allowed the water to go below the surface as opposed to across the surface with the water at a lower level.

What are you ideas on covering up the filtration? Maybe installing some type of door so you can close it but still have easier access. Do you want people to see the 10 gallon as well? If so maybe you would want to redesign that stand so the front support isn't overlapping with the 10 gallon. But that would be TONS of work since your bowfront is up there...
Well, I traded the tank with the 55 for my 105 I have now, so that was left up to the new owner. I was thinking of building doors in the front, but then got the idea to use a tension rod and hang some curtains down in front of the filtration, as well as above the 10g. I didn't get the chance to try this out, but felt it would work just fine. Both curtains could be hung from 1 rod and would hide everything I wanted it to.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Hm... I am confused. So are you currently using the same stand? Just switched from a 55 to a 105g?

And curtains with rods sounds like a good idea. Would be easier to assemble than a door, would hide what you need it to, and would be easy to access anything as well. Might need to use something that won't absorb water as the one you hang above the 10 might get bogged down a bit with the evaporation? Not sure if you could use felt or anything.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hm... I am confused. So are you currently using the same stand? Just switched from a 55 to a 105g?

And curtains with rods sounds like a good idea. Would be easier to assemble than a door, would hide what you need it to, and would be easy to access anything as well. Might need to use something that won't absorb water as the one you hang above the 10 might get bogged down a bit with the evaporation? Not sure if you could use felt or anything.
I traded that setup at the top here for my current tank, a 105g former saltwater setup. The link is in my sig that explains it, if you're interested.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh I see. So this is all retired :[
Yeah, I guess I should change the title of the thread. It is still a nice setup that I was very proud of, as it was my first planted tank. I also figured there was still some useful information in here for others to learn from.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
The pictures on reattaching the glass are really helpful. I was originally going to attempt de-rimming my 10 gallon tanks but then the hoods I have for them would fall through.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The pictures on reattaching the glass are really helpful. I was originally going to attempt de-rimming my 10 gallon tanks but then the hoods I have for them would fall through.
Resealing tanks is pretty easy, as long as you have a little bit of patience. The same is true for de-rimming one, only a LOT of patience is needed there. If you do not need the tank right away, give it a try but just take your time on it. You could just leave your hoods off, as using them would kinda be wasting your de-rimming efforts with the hoods on them. You could silicone some tabs inside the tank to be able to hold a lid, would be really cheap to get a piece of plexiglass to put over it. You could even use the hoods until you get a clear top for it. You MUST use sharp blades to do this job though, as I found from experience. Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.