The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i FINALLY got some wattage over my 10g...Been low light for about 2 yrs...anubas, java ferns, etc...

Thanks to a thread i found on here...picked up a Sunpaq 17 in., 40W, dual daylight that fits nicely in my 20in coralife aqualight hood...

Here's a few pics of the new set-up (full tank shot's a little out of focus):

not sure of the stem plants in the back...center & far right...indica?

have some baby tears, pearl weed, java ferns, riccia, and tiger lotus...

any suggestions???

thx

Attachments

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
The tank has a nice, over grown, stream feel or is that just me? Good Job!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a little update...

having some issues with hair algae, i picked up some more plants to see if i can out compete it: red/purple cambomba, couldn't resist it had beautiful purple flowers all over...also some sag for a dark corner and some red rotala?

i know its' looking a little cluttered/unorganized, but i'm just getting a feel for what's going to work in this tank...

also, my lfs said they'd adopt my adult male dwarf puffers...love these little guys, but tired of having a species only tank...kept/bred them for about 4 yrs. now...

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hadn't checked my water params in a while....you know where this is going...

i picked up 5 cherry shrimp (all died within 24 hrs) & a small shoal of 1/2 in cardinals (survived, so far)....

nitrates were 80+!!!

I think the culprit is the w/c...i've only been replacing 2.5g a week...i'll bump this up to 4...got nitrates down to 10-20 after 2x 50% w/c back to back...

planning on picking up some HC this weekend to replace the baby tears as a foreground...

looking to get some banded/clown killies or gertrudes rainbows in the near future also...

any sugs?:icon_smil

·
Registered
476 Posts
that is a monster riccia tower is it growing from substrate level or is there some driftwood you cant see within it. your tank is looking great.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The riccia on the right (monster tower) is tied down with thread to a large rock...it was a generous portion i picked up for only $5 bucks in chinatown...

It just got it's 1st haircut yesterday:icon_bigg

Currently battling hair-algae, which i'm hoping was encouraged by the high nitrates, which i'm hopefully getting under control...going to dose 1/2 EI for a week or 2 and see where i level off at...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks miles...wasn't sure if it was d. diandra or not; also some behind the tiger lotus on the right...i got a few bunches of another plant that was almost identical to the diandra (though the leaves were thinner) and it withered within a few days!

i like the fact that its a stem & i'm not getting crazy growth...it's nice & slow...

previously when i had less light (28W), my stems needed trimming almost daily...

i'm guessing since they are receiving more light they don't have to race to the source?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A little update on the tank...I've had an ongoing battle with hair algae, so i reduced nitrates for a few weeks, added a capful of excel and got an Elite Mini...As of last nite the hair algae seems to have been drastically reduced:smile:

I added a small branch of manzanita i got from a fellow org member...Still working on the layout...

I'm most probably going to remove the baby tears in the foreground...they are just a placeholder until i get some HC..they're a little to messy looking...I have replaced most of the riccia on the "stump" on the left hand side and replaced with java moss...I really like the combo of java moss and baby tears, got the inspiration from Pacific Aquarium...i'll post a pic

Going to pull out the riccia stone on the right side...its' too much of a PITA & its battling the "stump/tree" for attention...Looking for a nice red stem plant to replace the "purple" cambomba in the back right...Any sugs????

And i LOVE the lil' elite mini!!! I've got some really nice circulation going in the tank now...I hooked up the Co2 to it...Thought the current would be too strong for the cardinals....They are totally digging it as well...they live to smim directly into the current....

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, pulled the Riccia rock out, which opened things up a bit...

Looks like I've got the hair algae on the retreat!

Here's a FTS and a close-up of the "SwampThing"...Wood covered in Riccia, Java Moss, Java Fern & Pearl Weed (HM)...May need to break off some of the manzanita for better postioning...we'll see

Also you can see in the FTS lots of Co2 bubbles compliments of the little Elite mini...

Again, sorry about the quality of the pics...shot with iphone and detail is crapola:smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Moved the "purple" camboba to the front left and spread out the diandra on the back right...

java moss is slowly starting to fill in on the stump/manzanita...

letting the HM grow in some more, though i would still like to eventually replace it with HC...it's just too "ratty" looking, maybe when it grows in some more it will look better? would like some conformity in the foreground...

most all forms of algae have been eliminated except for a little hair...pond snails are multiplying rapidly...great clean-up crew though

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts