The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have noticed my lurking and infrequent posting. I'll consider this my 'official' introduction to TPT.

It all started a few weeks ago when I decided that my 10g was, well, boring.

The 50g was initially intended on becoming a full blown planted setup, but things got too expensive way too fast. I resorted to my roots, monster fish. A few days ago I decided that I'd see what I could do with my 10g in terms of a planted setup. Thus, this project was born!

The tank had housed a small B.Juruense, Pearl Gourami, and a small common Pleco. The fish have all since found new homes and the tank was free from occupants. I removed the gravel and stone work and replaced it with Eco Complete and driftwood.

This picture should give you a good idea on hardscape.

The tank itself is a standard AGA 10g (20x10x10 I believe) with AGA strip lighting (15w). Filtration comes by way of an Aquaclear 20 and Jager 100w takes care of the heating aspect.

My plan for this tank are simple and straight forward. I want to create a low tech tank focused on breeding RCS. I will replace the bulb in currently in the fixture with one more appropriate for plants. Since the tank is low tech and relatively low light @ 1.5wpg, CO2 will come via Flourish Excel.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First round of questions...

1. What 18" bulb can you recommend for this tank given the circumstances?

2. I'm looking for a small group of fish to keep in the tank that won't interfere with the RCS. Any suggestions?

3. PLANTS! I really don't know where to start. I consider this tank low light at 1.5wpg and am picking plants accordingly. However, I'm having a tough time narrowing down choices. Anyone care to recommend some plants? I was thinking an Anubias (most likely v.Nana) for the left side. The only other thought I had was some type of moss to cover the DW. Anyone care to offer any input here as well?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
First round of questions...

1. What 18" bulb can you recommend for this tank given the circumstances?

2. I'm looking for a small group of fish to keep in the tank that won't interfere with the RCS. Any suggestions?

3. PLANTS! I really don't know where to start. I consider this tank low light at 1.5wpg and am picking plants accordingly. However, I'm having a tough time narrowing down choices. Anyone care to recommend some plants? I was thinking an Anubias (most likely v.Nana) for the left side. The only other thought I had was some type of moss to cover the DW. Anyone care to offer any input here as well?
1.I just use a nice spectrum bulb that goes into the stock unit.. I think mines like 6500k

2. How about two ottos? The next safest fish would be like 3-5 dwarf corries.

3. In my 10g I've grown a variety of plants. My best have been stringy moss!(completely filled the tank!) and Cabamba, It's something about my water;) . Also crypts. My anubis died because of improper care..

I really am liking the DW!

-Andrew

If you want some Stringy moss lmk.. I have a few chunks sitting next to my tank waiting for buyers... I can give you it pretty cheap but Its a bit cold up here... I might end up just like giving it to the lfs for some credits or something...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts