The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

i'm doing some prior research before i start setting up later in the year.

thinking of a 10G planted gourami-only tank.

any suggestions or comments as to how many, which species, etc? kissing is the only sp. i dun want.

i'm not looking to keep many fish nor a variety, just happy fish

thanks guys =) all open for suggestions

·
Registered
383 Posts
I would go with a trio of dwarf or honey gouramis (good luck finding the females) or 6 dwarf yellow gouramis. . For an asian biotope maybe some botia sidthimunki or other small botias like yo-yo's. Botia Kubotai are my favorites. Hope this helps

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm honeys are a good consideration ^^ they compatible with shrimp?
and any other suggestions?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i dun think i'm gonna be going with any botia sp. anywayz. just thinking of gouramis and shrimp (algae crew). how many honeys do u think i can fit into a medium planted 10G.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Considering gourami's are territorial fish, I wouldn't put more than a single pair in a 10 gallon tank (unless you're stocking the REALLY small species...). There are a couple that max out around 1.5-2", but they aren't commonly available.

·
Registered
307 Posts
killiefish! there are some that are almost as colorful as saltwater fish. i have 7 clown killies, 3 ottos, 4 ammano shrimp, 3 or 4 RCS in my 10 gallon and they are doing fine. dwarf puffers are cool too but they might mess with shrimp.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Gourami's are a little aggressive, at least in my opinion. The ones I've had before are dwarf gouramis and blue gouramis. If you're going with Gouramis, I wouldn't try shrimp. They get considerably larger than shrimp and the general rule is that fish will eat ANYTHING they can fit into their mouth. Add slight aggression and territorial behavior, which these fish possess, and that's a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
234 Posts
gouramis cant eat shirmp , i have 4 fire honey gouramis , 2 pearls, 2 dwarf emeralds and 25 ammano shrimp! but yes i wouldint put one in a 10.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmm seems like using the shrimp as an algae crew us outta the picture, haha. but thatz ok. still a while to go before i get the time to set up anyways.

hmm i'm getting many suggestions as to wat i can stock from different people, but its getting a little confusing, but thatz ok. if per se i was to stock one larger gourami (eg. pearl) and a couple (3-4) honeys, that do-able with maybe an otto? for a planted 10G?

or do u guys think that itz too much? b/c i really like gouramis and bettas and i cant exactly get a larger tank as of yet (cant fit into my room).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmm, well i just got an oto to combat some small amounts of algae in my betta tank (hopefully he goes for it), and if he's still alive by then (eg. not nipped to death by my betta or dies b/c of bad health) he'll hopefully have a bigger tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts