The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in awe of some of the "jungle" tanks I see, and I'm trying to figure out how to go about doing my own. Obviously, "time" is the most critical element. I'm looking for some plant and layout suggestions.

The tank and flourescent light are from the standard "kit". The gravel is also ordinary plain gravel, but it has not been gravel vac'd in 4 months or so, except for me moving plants around the last couple days. I upgraded the filter to a Marineland 10-20 HOB from the the 5-10 that came in the kit.

The plants I have now are doing well given the pathetic lighting, substrate and lack of ferts.

Here's what I have:
1 - 3-4" Amazon Sword
1 - 7-8" Melon Sword
6 - 4-9" Corkscrew Vals
1 - 3" Crypt wendtii
1 - Very small Anubias Nana
1 - rock covered with "moss" (mixed christmas, taiwan, java and peacock)
1 - very lonely 5-6" Anacharis stem

·
Registered
342 Posts
I do one sword and ditch the vals. This is a small tank and those well take it over or have to be removed. And then Id add something fast growing like hornwort.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I would upgrade the lighting and probably rethink the sword and stuff like that....those things get huge!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would upgrade the lighting and probably rethink the sword and stuff like that....those things get huge!
I was planning to pull the swords and a couple vals out in a few months when I get my 55 set up.

I stole a few plants/clippings from my 29. It's still looking really pathetic. Suppose I'll just wait for things to take root and see what happens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts