The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from my Introductory thread, this is my first real thread on TPT. The main reason I joined this forum is because I've decided to do a planted shrimp tank. I made the decision about a week ago and now have just about everything I need. The only things missing are the plants (on their way) and the shrimp (not even ordered yet).

At the moment, I have a 10g tank set up and running with the following:
-black sand
-black background
-AquaClear 20 filter (with pre-filter sponge on the intake)
-Aqueon Pro 50-watt heater
-20" Finnex Stingray LED light
-glass Versa-top
-thermometer

Here are some pictures so far. That is NOT the final scaping at all. The two faux wood pieces used to have leaves, but I tore them off. If I used them, I would attach plants to them. But I'm not too sure I like them anyway, at least not together. The "wood" is too different from each other. I have some other options that I'll play around with once the plants arrive and I start figuring out how I want it to look.

This will be a low-light planted tank. The plants that I've ordered are:
-anubias coffeefolia
-anubias nana
-water wisteria
-duckweed
-java moss
-marimo balls

Once they arrive, I'll play around with the scaping and once I have it to where I like it, I'll order the shrimp. I am planning to get red cherry shrimp.

And that's about all I got for now. Any questions or suggestions, just let me know!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
You will enjoy that setup. Shrimp are pretty cool to watch zipping all over the place.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got the notification that my plants will arrive tomorrow. Looks like I'll have a busy evening!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The plants arrived as scheduled on Tuesday. So Tuesday night I planted them and did some scaping. Then last night I made some changes. I got the tank pretty much where I want it, or at least as good as it's gonna get.

So now all that's left is the shrimp! They'll be arriving tomorrow. I'll be getting 25 red cherry shrimp and some mystery snails, too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Taking filter media from an existing, established, and cycled tank and putting it in the filter of an uncycled tank will instantly cycle that tank. The shrimp and snails will release toxic ammonia into the water via their waste. Bacteria already established in the transferred media will convert the toxic ammonia into toxic nitrite. Then another kind of bacteria that is also already established in the transferred media will convert the toxic nitrite into non-toxic nitrate. A problem could arise if I were taking cycled media from a lightly stocked tank and putting it into an uncycled, heavily stocked tank. There may not be enough established bacteria to process the large amount of ammonia that would be released in such a tank. But the exact opposite is the case here.

As for the biofilm, it is true that the rocks, sand, and the log won't have much on them as of yet, but the plants will still have some. It's not like they were bleached clean after being pulled from their origin tanks. The java moss and marimo balls will have plenty of residual biofilm and other "stuff" for the shrimp to eat. Additionally, I intend to feed them a variety of algae wafers and sinking pellets.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Again, the tank will be cycled. Again, the shrimp will have plenty to eat between the plants and added food.

No luck needed, but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The shrimp arrived this morning, along with some mystery snails. After acclimating for an hour or so, I introduced them into the tank. Everything seems to be going well. Here are some pictures. One of the females is berried.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's been about 2.5 weeks since the shrimp and snails went into the tank. Everyone is still going strong. Plants are still looking good and growing some. Here are some recent pictures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.