The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I revamped this tank a lot by taking effectively switching all of the plants with those that were in my 46g low tech tank. Now i've got mostly crypts and anubia, but I added in some major changes to the substrate (mineralized topsoil mixed with clay, dolomite, mulm, and peat underneath the eco-complete) so i'm hoping that itll turn out well.

So now that this tank is up and running, I'm concerned about getting algae, especially green spot algae. what can i do to avoid it? I don't really have good testing equipment nor the money to get any. So I don't know my parameters, but here are my general specs:

Equipment:
Eheim 2213 filter
no CO2 :)icon_eek: will i get a major algae problem? honestly i'm kinda scared.)
36W PC light (covered in duct tape so really theres only about 10-15W of light going through, i'll take a picture of it in the next few days)
typical Hydro heater

Flora:
Cryptocoryne balansae
C. spiralis
C. wendtii sp. 'green'
C. wedntii sp. 'red'
C. lucens
C. [unknown sp, but the ones between the two rocks on the right]
Anubias hastifolia (or maybe gigantae?)
A. barteri
A. nana
A. 'petite nana'
Lobelia cardinalis 'large form'
Lobelia cardinalis 'small form'

Fauna:
8 Boraras brigittae
2 Cardinal tetras
1 Kribensis fry (about the size of the boraras, only a temporary resident)
1 Zebra loach
2 Otocinclus affinis

Pictures:
('tis the season :flick:)

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
It looks great! Are you going to add something to fill the "gap" in the middle of the tank? Or is the "gap" just me? Thanks for shareing!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks great! Are you going to add something to fill the "gap" in the middle of the tank? Or is the "gap" just me? Thanks for shareing!
i dont know actually. I haven't decided yet. I still have a bunch of anubias nana left from my other tank, so I'll throw some in there and see how it looks i guess.

i was thinking before that i would just leave it open like that and sorta have one of those 'river' or 'pathway' looks, but then the anubias hastifolia in the back just looks leggy and awkward. I also think I need a few more different colored crypts, its getting too monochromatic.

thanks for the comments, guys! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
new pictures after winter break... i've filled in the awkward gap in the middle, and the plants have acclimated to the different lighting and stuff. check it out!

thank you!
l really like the shading of the tall leaves over the small really eye catching plus those stones really go along with the plants. great job!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.