The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Below is my current tank setup. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I just added a new piece of wood and would like to work around it, if possible. The wood can be placed in a few different positions and remain submerged. The current position is my favorite.

Plants:

Anubias sp.
Moneywort
Brazilian pennywort
Micro sword
Amazon sword
Telanthera

I just ordered HC (need help with placement) and Subwassertang (would like to attach to the wood).

Others:

2 White cloud tetras
1 Nerite snail
1 ghost shrimp?

Thank you all in advance for any and all advice/help! I am open to completely changing the current setup as needed.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
I like that piece of wood but maybe flipping it to where the branch that is submerged is facing the glass or to where the thick short branch is submerged and the 2 branches on the left (1st pic) face up?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like this? If so, do you have any ideas for plant placement? Should I order smaller plants (current Anubias too large?) Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
After several more monthe that Anubias can take up 1/3 the tank. I do 10g tanks and strongly prefer plants which have smaller leaves. I have sone Java moss but try to keep it minimal as I don't care for the erradic growth patterns. Something like Christmas moss I like though. I haven't had luck/w that one in the tank which already has the Java and don't want it in the other. Have Fissidens in the other. Much prefer the way it looks and very slow growth of it.
An Anubias Nana may stay small enough and has smaller leaves. I have a Pettete in the tank/w the Fissidens and it almost gets lost it's so small.
Fissidens grow on rock or wood but hard to start on rock.
As far as placement of the wood, you need it to look good to you. I am curious about how it would look...in the first picture, if that picture of it was from the top.
Bacoba would looke good because of the small leaves. Carolina I think but not really sure about that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I kind of like the wood in the first position, but maybe you could have moved it to the back a bit more and to the left (from looking at it face on) if you get me, so you can see the arch but it isnt so much up against the glass. I just can imagine loads of plants at the front sides and back, but not much in the middle of the arch so it kind of goes back into a little cave type area.
-shrugs- its probably not the norm but could look awesome. and its all personal choice :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the responses. I'm going to give it some thought and update when I make moves.

Cheers!

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
It made me laugh. It looks comical. I don't really know why but I'm still laughing. Something about that long straight stick like a broom handle and the thick trunk on the right. It almost looks like a Picasso distortion of a body part. I'm still laughing! It's something sexy. I think the wood looks better as a modern art installment in a museum than in an aquascape.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I read his post, cracked up as well. Thought immediately he was a troll based on his lack of uploaded tanks. I found the wood at the beach and thought it was cool plus free. What are you going to do?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Tank update. How is she looking?

Thanks,

Cheers.
I like it already and once it grows in it will look even better. With the cover provided by the scape, plenty of nano fish would be happy in there.

12 Danio erythromicron or Danio margaritatus come to mind.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yeah I read his post, cracked up as well. Thought immediately he was a troll based on his lack of uploaded tanks. I found the wood at the beach and thought it was cool plus free. What are you going to do?
As weird as it sounds, if could somehow sand down the bulb (for lack of a better word lol) on the end of the wood on the left of the tank, I think it would look a bit better. Otherwise though I think it could look really cool with some willow moss or fissidens growing on the wood. It looks a bit too hard right now, but I think with some green on it, it will look very nice!

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
I'm not a troll, and I assume you responded to a deleted post that was vulgar. Anyway, I didn't mean to offend but I thought it was funny because it was just so unexpected.

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. Don't try to make orange juice just because everyone else is making orange juice with their oranges. Make lemonade! The same principle applies here.

You have a very odd-looking piece of wood that I think you could be making lemonade out of, not orange juice. And since no one has made lemonade yet, you'll have to figure the best way to do it. It's definitely not the same as making orange juice since you don't have oranges. It's hard to suggest what would work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts