The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hagen glo 48" over my 75g and was wondering if I had enough wattage to grow most all stems and carpet plants. I won't be dosing co2 so I don't want to overdo the lighting. The fixture is suspended 8" above the tank.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thanks for the reply, what do you think would be the most I could add without going to high?

Do you mean how much more light could you add? Because if that fixture were at the top of the tank that would be as much light as anyone would ever need. If you're not getting CO2 I definitely wouldn't try to get more light.

What plants specifically are you trying to grow? There are really rather few plants that absolutely require high light, and to grow them and not have an algae farm you would need CO2 anyway. What you have is more than adequate for just about anything.

Edit: Re-reading your post, do you mean how much higher could you hang the light? It all depends on the type of plants you want. You could even hang it a foot from the top and still have solid low light which can grow a good variety, although at that point your carpet choices would be more limited.

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just making sure my light could grow stem plants. I will have java fern and what not low light plants but stem plants also and wanted to make sure stems would grow, preferably the ones that need high light to keep color if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Your light can definitely grow a lot of types of stem plants. I have low light and I have several kinds of stem plants growing, so you should be fine.

I don't have any red or pink colored ones, so I can't give you any advice there. But I know that light isn't the only factor; depending on the plant type, there's a number of things that seem to make a difference.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yeah, the 2-3 wpg was an okay guideline back when most lights were T8, but T5HOs are ridiculously more powerful so you need much less watts to provide the same amount of light.

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, the 2-3 wpg was an okay guideline back when most lights were T8, but T5HOs are ridiculously more powerful so you need much less watts to provide the same amount of light.
Thanks, that's what I was told but rather be safe than sorry. How about Kelvin rating?? Matter much, I have a 6500k and 18000k

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks, that's what I was told but rather be safe than sorry. How about Kelvin rating?? Matter much, I have a 6500k and 18000k

Kelvin is just the way the bulb will look and really has no effect on plant growth. Most common Kelvin is around 6700K for plants. I have used that combination before and liked the look it gave..

Overall its a preference..

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kelvin is just the way the bulb will look and really has no effect on plant growth. Most common Kelvin is around 6700K for plants. I have used that combination before and liked the look it gave..

Overall its a preference..
Alright thanks. Guy who sold me fixture said it would add looks so..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.