I have a 105l or 28 gallon community tank that is quite heavily planted with:
Java fern
Amazon Swords
Ludwigia Palustris green
Red Tiger Lotus
Alot of Vallisneria Spiralis
Anubias nana
Limnophila Sessiliflora

I have an AllPondSolutions 1000EF (1000lph or 264gph) canister filter rated for tanks up to 400l or 105 gallons meaning that water quality is always very good in this tank with ammonia and nitrites always at 0ppm and nitrates on the lower end as the water is changed weekly and all the plants keep them down.

The water temperature stays around 24-26°C or 75-78°F

The tank is currently stocked with:
5 green neon tetras
4/5 neon tetras
2 glowlight tetras (will be getting more soon)
8 ember tetras
2 albino corydoras (will also be looking into getting more soon aswell but i haven't seen them in my lfs for a while)
1 siamese algae eater (not siamese flying fox whish is notoriously aggressive)
A few ottocinclus
A few Amano shrimp
A few nerites

I am looking to add a centre piece fish that is quite colourful/large to stand out in the tank (maybe around 3/4 inches or so.) This could be a single fish or multiple as AqAdviser says the tank is 75% stocked currently but it goes to 85% when I add a few more glowlight tetras and albino corydoras but the filtration capacity stays at around 250%.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
411 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think SAE prefer schools. maybe grab a couple more of those first? also, Rainbow sharks are cool. not necessarily a centerpeice, but they are cool. do similar stuff as SAEs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may be wrong, but I think SAE prefer schools. maybe grab a couple more of those first? also, Rainbow sharks are cool. not necessarily a centerpeice, but they are cool. do similar stuff as SAEs.
I have read a lot about SAE and have heard they are fine on their own, but if anyone has any other experience and disagrees I am open to suggestion.

Also the rainbow shark sounds like it would look amazing, however, would it be able to go in this tank with the stocking and the size of the tank. I'd love to have a rainbow shark but I have heard they can be territorial?

A pair of Pearl gourami will look stunning.
That does sound like it would look amazing in the tank.

I have kept pearl gouramis before but I didn't know you could keep pairs of them together.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here are a couple thoughts.

German blue ram/ other Apistogrammas (I had a mated pair of GBR for sometime and they are still my favorite fish I've ever owned)
Betta
Peacock gudgeon
Roseline shark
Maybe Rachovi Killifish?

·
Registered
411 Posts
In response to the other responses, glad I found this again as I had more to add but not the time to do it.

I have had Pearl Gourami, bred them on accident too. lol. They are very pretty. They will be pretty unhappy if you don't have floating plants for really tall plants that hang over and create some amount of shade. Having said that, they are very pretty and curious fish. as far as the 6" gourami species out there these are the most docile that I know of. The other smaller types can be even more so. With these guys you will want at least two. They are a shoaling kind of a fish. But you will want only one male and then ideal 2 females, gourami males get a little pushy when they're ready to go. But I have done a single male and single female, she will just need places to be able to break line of sight and hide from time to time.

I have two Rainbow sharks in a 75 gallon, they work fine but this was cutting it close. They are territorial which is why you just get one as a center piece. Although 28 gallon is probably too small.

I was thinking a couple of German Blue Rams too. well really any Ram you want should be okay. Apistos are pretty cool, but personally I like the German Blues and other Rams. But again, that is personal preference.

Killifish Would be cool, but I think you want something with some personality and if that's the case I would do the Rams. Killifish I think are just more exotic and have the hunter mindset that makes them cool. But I haven't owned them either so that is definitely up for debate in my mind. Having said that, You're fish you have are mostly bottom and mid with occasional upper sections of the tank. And Killi's should be mostly in the upper/mid. So will Pearl Gourami.

And the Betta that @Yuuki_Akitsuki also mentioned would be cool too. Should be fine with that whole stocking. However, you may or may not get a little **** of a fish that chases everything and then you gotta return or rehome or get another tank. lol I have a feeling most Bettas will chase everything to start but after a couple days will chill out. Some don't is my point. But they can totally work!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
In response to the other responses, glad I found this again as I had more to add but not the time to do it.

I have had Pearl Gourami, bred them on accident too. lol. They are very pretty. They will be pretty unhappy if you don't have floating plants for really tall plants that hang over and create some amount of shade. Having said that, they are very pretty and curious fish. as far as the 6" gourami species out there these are the most docile that I know of. The other smaller types can be even more so. With these guys you will want at least two. They are a shoaling kind of a fish. But you will want only one male and then ideal 2 females, gourami males get a little pushy when they're ready to go. But I have done a single male and single female, she will just need places to be able to break line of sight and hide from time to time.

I have two Rainbow sharks in a 75 gallon, they work fine but this was cutting it close. They are territorial which is why you just get one as a center piece. Although 28 gallon is probably too small.
What you say about Pearls is true? One Male -multiple female- may be 2 or 3 is best but a pair can work out most times and should be a bet worth placing in a 28 gallon. Rainbow sharks , while being beautiful can potentially harass smaller fishes to injury and death.

·
Registered
411 Posts
What you say about Pearls is true? One Male -multiple female- may be 2 or 3 is best but a pair can work out most times and should be a bet worth placing in a 28 gallon. Rainbow sharks , while being beautiful can potentially harass smaller fishes to injury and death.
Just the size of your tank I wouldn't do a shark of any type really. They will get to 6 inches and want to swim more than that tank will allow. I had mentioned that originally off the fact that you had an SAE which can also get to 6 inches.

And a pair of pearls will be good. if you had only two males, they'll be okay-ish... they will likely chase one another and one will end up being bullied into only a smaller section of the tank. But if you do a female, the male will chase her around and you get 2-1 female-male because it will disperse his focus and give the ladies breaks. But if she(single female) has places to break line of sight and places to hide she'll be okay.

Once they mate, whether you keep the fry or just let them be eaten by their parents more than likely, they tend to act a little more as a team when not spawning. But mostly the male just sits up and protects as many young as he can chasing everyone, including mama, away from the fry. Luckily Pearls aren't all that aggressive except during these spawning times. But once it starts can be as frequent as every 3 weeks. This however will only happen if they can make their bubble nests in peace and have relatively slower spots for said bubble nests. Kinda hard sometimes to balance a canopy for them to be comfortable while making it just uncomfortable enough that they don't spawn. As I mentioned, I bred them, well really I pulled some fry after just one of their spawns, which they had numerous until I broke down the tank. I am breeding other Gourami though.

From my time with gourami, having had about 5 types, they tend to only harrass other gourami. Mostly only the same type UNTIL spawning, and then they can get pretty ruthless with all fish. Honestly, if you get them and they start to make a bubble nest, destroy them. lol. or pull out a bunch of the floating plants so bubble nest making is off their to do list.

If you want something in the upper portion, some Pearl Gourami would be cool. Again Killifish inhabit those areas too but I have never kept them. But of all the things mentioned so far, Rams/Apistos I think would be easiest. But again they will also be bottom/mid of the tank.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Honestly, I am hesitant to even mention this... But I bet you could even get a pair of angels to be okay in there. Had them as well in a community tank. They only messed with other angelfish even when breeding. But they are fairly large and I don't know how they would fair in your tank. I don't know it's specs other than it's 28 gallons and initially I wouldn't even mention it. But now that we've gone this far down the rabbit whole.... If you could find a mated pair or an older male and older female you could be okay, DO NOT buy baby angels... you don't know what you'll get. Sexing is basically impossible until they start to exhibit spawning characteristics. Two females would be okay too. But do not get more than two, and if you get two males, in that size tank they're gonna end up duking it out. This is one like a betta that I would be wary of. They can be chill or you can get a dick fish. I had one that was kinda a punk but only to other angels. I have heard plenty of people say their angel picked on every other fish in the tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I was thinking a couple of German Blue Rams too. well really any Ram you want should be okay. Apistos are pretty cool, but personally I like the German Blues and other Rams. But again, that is personal preference.

Killifish Would be cool, but I think you want something with some personality and if that's the case I would do the Rams. Killifish I think are just more exotic and have the hunter mindset that makes them cool. But I haven't owned them either so that is definitely up for debate in my mind. Having said that, You're fish you have are mostly bottom and mid with occasional upper sections of the tank. And Killi's should be mostly in the upper/mid. So will Pearl Gourami.

And the Betta that @Yuuki_Akitsuki also mentioned would be cool too. Should be fine with that whole stocking. However, you may or may not get a little **** of a fish that chases everything and then you gotta return or rehome or get another tank. lol I have a feeling most Bettas will chase everything to start but after a couple days will chill out. Some don't is my point. But they can totally work!!!

That's exactly what I was thinking with the rainbow sharks as I have heard people say they can need up to 1M of territory space in a tank so this tank is definitely too small for that.

I might try the pearl gouramis as I have a lot of vallisneria in the tank which has gotten so long it has looped over about a third of the tank. I will have to see at my lfs though as I think i have only really seen males there but I may be wrong.

i have also seen that they have just gotten a few powder blue dwarf gouramis in as well, do you think they would be an option too, as I have heard of people keeping 1 male and 2 females in community setups, the same way you mentioned with the pearl gouramis.

Also I didn't think id be able to keep rams in this tank as the water temperature only really reaches about 26°C in summer and often falls to 24°C in the winter as opposed to the 27-28°C I've heard recommended for them.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Also I didn't think id be able to keep rams in this tank as the water temperature only really reaches about 26°C in summer and often falls to 24°C in the winter as opposed to the 27-28°C I've heard recommended for them.
Yeah, Rams do prefer those warmer temps.

And yeah, Some dwarf gourami would be okay as well. More or less the same as their larger cousins. I feel like Pearls are less aggressive, but since they're smaller and still with other species I would think they should be okay. Mostly my angels and gourami have gone after only their same species.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts