The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, so today i finally got all the components necessary to setup my 100g gallon aquascape. Ill be transfering most plants from my other tanks. Have a eco complete (black)/ada amazonia substrate mix. Also ill have 1 48" finnex planted + 24/7 and 2 30" finnex planted + lighting it. Should put me in the mid to high range. So as for stocking, i have 50 cardinal tetra which will be going in for sure. Besides that im not sure. Ill list out what else i have "extra".
3 skunk botia
3 standard BN pleco
15 rummynose tetra
3 apistogramma sp. Blue steal
So if any of these species would be aquascape safe, besides rummynose, i only want one type of tetra, let me kno if not ill either sell them or trade them for instore credit. Lemme kno what you guys think or perhaps suggestions on what types of fish would do good in this tank?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Apistos would be fine with plants. The trio get along fine? If not, two might be better.

Plecos seem hit or miss, some have issues with them munching on leaves, some don't have any issues. Not sure if it's a nutrition deficiency in their diet (or just not getting enough food) that causes that. Same goes with plecos burrowing under hardscapes to create caves, uprooting nearby plants in the process.

Skunk botias, I've had many different species of Botia, but stayed away from the skunks as I've always heard they are bullies. All my botias don't touch my plants.

Rummys are great. Active tight schoolers unlike cardinal tetras that will just hover around in loose groups once comfortable (colorful, but rather boring in the activeness). Guess you ruled them out already, but maybe the behavior difference will change your mind?

If you want little fish, raboras (heteromorpha, espei, hengeli) are great active tight schoolers like rummy nose tetras. Rasboras occupy the top half of the tank. Where as rummys occupy the lower half of the tank. Which does make a nice combo to have an active school on "both" levels of the water column.

Got any pics of your Apisto Blue Steels? Was considering some different blue Apistos.

Just to know, I see you have a Discus in your avatar pic, just wanted to know if the Discus would be going in this 100 gallon? Meaning temps would be +82*F which would rule out many plant and fish species being compatible at that temp.

·
Registered
41 Posts
No discus in this tank, this is going to be a peaceful community plant safe tank lol so for bn pleco i havent had any issues with them eating plants just burrowing like you said and messing up the hardscape. Yes the skunk botia seem to be bullies but them destroyed my pest snail problem. The reason the rummynose are ruled out is because they have been promised to a buddy of mine for a while now, personal favor. Yes the cardinals dont school very well but i have so many and id like to keep them in the 100g. What about another schooling fish that would work well with the cardinals? I will get a large school 40+ of them. A good contrast is color from the cardinal would be good and a tight schooler would also be ideal, possibly a way to make the cardinal school by using another school instead of a large fish? Yea ill attach a pic of the apisto's and no they dont get along at all lol constant battles for territory, which is why im going to move them on. I would like to get another apisto species tho. Which would be a good one that has good color? Also how many? I dont think ill put the bn pleco in this tank, i have another one i can move them too. So that free's up an opening for an algae eater. Suggestions?

Nature Fish Fin Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium
Organism Fish Aquarium decor Marine biology Freshwater aquarium
Organism Marine biology Aquarium decor Invertebrate Marine invertebrates

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
As for little schooling fish that can encourage cardinal tetras to school, in my 100 gallon 5ft tank, I had 30 cardinals, 20 rummys, and 20 espei (rasboras). Back when the tank had no plants to sparsely planted, rummys, espei and cardinals would all school together. Even after months, which the cardinals should surely have became comfortable and just hovered around. But with the active schooling fish, the cardinals joined right along playing with them most of the time. However once I started getting into planted tanks, the more plants I would add, the less schooling activity would take place among the fish. Sure enough once heavily planted, the once 24/7 (seemed like) active schooling fish were pretty much only hovering now. After doing plant trimmings, reducing plant mass, fish activity would increase. So basically, the more plants, the less active fish. Not everyone experiences this, or at least they don't report so, or they don't notice the behavior/activity change. I for one, observe fish behavior quite a lot and I have concluded that the more plant mass, the less active the fish are (pretty much all fish species, not just schooling/shoaling fish). I am not the only one who has noticed this connection. Anyways, I could go on and on about that (already done so in past posts).

So what I am saying is, in my experience, active schooling fish did entice cardinal tetras to actively school (not out of fear/stress). Though that active schooling may be hindered by more plant mass (even with open swimming space). So pretty much it's not a guaranteed thing. Cardinals might not actively school. With enough plants, even active schoolers like rummys and rasboras might not school (as I've experienced). But yes, for recommendations on little schooling fish, I would say rummy noses and rasboras are best (Espei are a favorite). Personally much prefer Espei rasboras over rummy noses for quite a few reasons, but both are great tight active schoolers. Haven't personally kept Black Neon Tetras, but I hear they can school fairly well (occupy upper half of tank).

I haven't kept Apistos yet so I'm of no good advice on those. Haven't made up my mind on which species I would get either. So many nice colors/patterns to choose from. Have kept ram cichlids though.

For algae eaters, I would recommend Reticulated Flying Foxes (Crossocheilus reticulatus). Related to true Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis). They eat many pesky algae types that many other fish won't touch, just like the SAE reputation. Mine are around the 4" mark and they still eat algae and are not aggressive, unlike some people reporting their SAE becoming a little aggressive and no longer eating algae (just fish food). So in my experience with them, they have the great algae eating reputation SAE, only better. Plus you can't misidentify reticulateds as SAE commonly are.
Some people might recommend Otocinclus (Otos), which are a peaceful algae eater, but some report them only eating brown algae (diatoms) and soft green algae, and not eating any fish food (not even algae wafers). They do like fresh vegetables though. Some people's otos do eat fish food though. But it's always wise to assume the lesser, so if you want to keep them, make sure to provide enough food for them so they don't starve. The SAE/reticulated above, will eat fish food, so no real need to worry about those starving to death.

Thanks for mentioning your experiences with the fish you have kept.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Schooling is not only for defensive/protection purposes. Even without a single source of stress, schooling/shoaling fish will still very well school/shoal. It largely fills a social role, which is very important for social fish (just as humans are social animals). It goes in depth, as far as genetics (which in itself can explain how active schooling fish can entice other schooling fish to join along) and all that, but yeah. It's actually shown that fish naturally schooling (without a stressor) have a longer life expectancy than fish kept alone or not schooling (fish are less stressed resulting in better health).

For me, I've observe fish behavior quite a lot and can definitely tell signs of distress, which none of my fish were stressed in the slightest. I've gone in depth about my experience quite a few times in past posts. I've even tried introducing what would commonly be seen as stressors/danger (my hands, fish net) and they showed absolutely no fear. Even tried actively scaring them, but they didn't not react at all (they didn't shoo or dart away, or stay at the opposite end, or anything), still happily swimming about. In short, I am 110% certain my fish were not more active and/or schooling because of fear/stress. And just to be clear, there was times when it was just the small fish, cardinals, rummys, rasboras and corydoras, no predators, no intimidators, no fighting, no threats/stress, no panicking skittish fish, everyone just peacefully and happily swimming around. I guarantee my fish were not actively schooling out of defense/stress/fear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Organism Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Pet supply Freshwater aquarium

Ok so i finished up the tank last night. I think it turned out pretty good. I need to find some plants to occupy the middle of the tank but its ok im in no rush. But no fish are in the tank yet. Still trying to figure out if i should sell the cardinals or not. I would like a very tight schooling fish that will occupy the upper middle portion. Because i am going to get some apisto's just not sure what type yet exactly. Ive also kept oto's in the past but never had any luck with them. I mean rainbows are always a good choice but we will have to see. Ive been told bloodfin tetra are some of the best schooling tetra, anyone kep them?

Well ive been thinking about it and since i already have 50 or so cardinal tetra im just going to put them in the 100g. I mean they have been in my 30g quarantine for about 3 weeks now with now issues. So now im shifting my stocking efforts to bottom feeders. Just to be clear i am going to get a few apistogramma cacatuoides. Not sure how many yet or what would be good with them so any advice would be ok. But ive kept sterbai cory, panda cory, emerald cory, and so on...i like corys alot but i kinda wanted to do something different. Any options? Also maybe some blue angelfish, how many would be comfortable in a 100g?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.