The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question for those "in the know". I'm going to use four 1000w MH above my 16'L x 6'W x 3'T concrete tank. I'm going to run these lights about 5 hours a day. The rest of the "day" I'll run three 175w MHs. Since it is a South American Biotope and most of the fish prefer subdued lighting would it be worthwhile to buy 5500k bulbs to replace the 10k bulbs that come with the Reef Sun MH system?

·
Registered
247 Posts
im pretty sure your going to have to get much more light.
a mh fixture's light is at it best when placed 2'x2' from each other the amount of light 175,250,400 watt lights just have to do with the depth of the water (correct me if im wrong). along with a tank/pond that big will come the cost of making a tank that big run. if my math is right you will need 24 mh fixtures spread over that tank sence its only 3' deep you'll only need a 400 watt fixture the 1000 watt lights are the kind you see lighting up homedepot and most other wearhouse type stores.

ya if im wrong about something just tell me its been along time sence i had my saltwater setup. its not too often you see someone use MH lights of freshwater tanks.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The 10000k will be fine. I think you will need to run the 4 1000watts and the 3 175 watts at the same time to get enough coverage. I maybe wrong. You are going to have see what kind of coverage you can get with 1000 watts. I think you are going to end up with some very bright areas and some shaded areas.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I apreciate the responses but I know 4 x 1000w Mh bulbs are in fact more than I need! The question is am I better off with the lower color temp bulbs for my SA fish? I have spaced my bulbs irregularly so the there will be shadows and bright areas in my tank as there are in the natural environment.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I apreciate the responses but I know 4 x 1000w Mh bulbs are in fact more than I need! The question is am I better off with the lower color temp bulbs for my SA fish? I have spaced my bulbs irregularly so the there will be shadows and bright areas in my tank as there are in the natural environment.

You are better off with lower color temps, but I doubt the fish care either way. A 5500k bulb is close to natural sunlight and provides significantly more photosynthetically available radiation (PAR) for your plants. That's why the majority of reef tanks have 6.5k-10k metal halides, but then supplement with actinic flourescents. The lower temp MH bulbs provide a lot of PAR, and the actinics add blue color to make it more pleasing to the eye.

Go with the 5500k bulb. Even 1000 watt bulbs don't compare to the intensity of natural sunlight. If anything, I'd guess that your fish react better to lower color temps as it's more natural than 10k light. As a bonus, I'm sure it'll be a lot cheaper too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts