The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have wanted to build a pond for a long time. I bought a 100 (actually 103) galvanized stock tank pond from Tractor Supply. It measures 4 x 2 x 2 feet. It cost $75. The pond is going to sit on the deck in my backyard. I didn't like the galvanized steel look, so I decided to paint the tank copper colored.

First I thoroughly degreased and sanded the tank. You can use any good degreaser, but I just used Dawn dish soap (it's used to clean animals that are caught in an oil apill). Then I sanded the outside and bottom of the tank with 220 grit sandpaper. I then wiped the tank down with a tack cloth and washed it again.

I applied two coats of Rustoleum primer for galvanized steel with a roller brush. Paint doesn't stick to galvanized steel so you have to use this special primer.

I have been working on this project with one hand since I broke two fingers 3 weeks ago. They weren't healing well so I had surgery on my hand 3 days ago. Lucky for me it wasn't my dominant hand that was hurt. I painted the tank with Rustoleum Hammered Copper spray paint. It took 1.5 cans for a nice coat. I'm going to let the paint dry for a few days and then I'll get someone to move the tank for me (it only weighs about 40 pounds).

My future plans for this tank are to stock it with goldfish and minnows (already have the goldfish in a holding tank), some marginal plants like water lilies and black gamecock, and add some nice manzanita driftwood to the pond. I also have a fountain pump that will be placed in the pond.

Here's he tank after painting it in my garage. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
If I won the jackpot right now, I'd have an insulated warehouse full of above ground ponds.
Congrats, and I love hammertone spray, it really takes way a lot of small nasty details sometimes. (really neat for sealing the end of chipboard joints).

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! Today I grabbed a bucket of mud from a local lake to help jump-start the cycle in the pond. I'm hoping it will introduce some daphnia or other microorganisms to make the pond as natural possible. I also went to a dirt road in my neighborhood and grabbed a five gallon bucket of rocks for the bottom of the pond. I'm having my dad help me move the tank tonight and I'll finish setting up the pond tomorrow.

Will guppies grow and reproduce in a pond that isn't heated?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.