The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently have a 3.5gal set up in my student digs. It's a NPT with soil substrate capped with fine gravel and heavily planted with glosso, star grass, and h. verticillata. It is also swamped with blanket weed/ green string algae :icon_roll

I have Glutarol wart treatment in my cupboard, which is a 10% solution of glutaraldehyde in distilled water and methylated spirit. Everyone seems to be using a different strength to me, and I simply don't have the brain to do the maths for the correct dosage, or even dilution. Could somebody please help?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
For that, equivalent to a normal daily dose of Excel is 0.0525ml.

Double dose for killing algae is 0.105ml, and so on.

At those tiny dosages, I doubt the methylated spirits will be a problem, but I can't guarantee it. Use at your own risk.

Not to mention it's impossible to measure such a small amount. I'd mix 1/4 tsp. Glutarol with 1 tbsp. distilled water. A daily double dose of that mixture will then be an easy 1/4 tsp.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Will the alcohol not simply serve as a sugar source?
Maybe. I've heard of that effect with ethyl alcohol (like vodka). This could be isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Not sure if that works differently. And when an alcohol is denatured, it's tainted with something to prevent you from drinking it; I hear it makes you throw up. Totally unnecessary in a glutaraldehyde mixture of course, as it's already toxic; but common for rubbing alcohol so people can't drink it and avoid alcohol taxes.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
NOTE: Serious error in my math. The correct mix is 1/4 Glutarol and 1 tbsp. distilled water. Edited above and posting this just in case you'd already read the wrong mixture.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big help, thankyou. It describes the methylated spirits as "industrial", which after a quick google scan, means 5% of the overall alcohol content is methanol. How that effects things, I don't know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.