The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:hihi:

Well, decided to finally start my 10g tank journal for the tank I'm putting together at work, although for now this is mostly a placeholder as nothing is really scaped yet. I found a nice piece of driftwood the other day that I'll be using as the main 'jump off' point for the scape, so everything you see now is very temporary. Anyway:

10g Standard cheapo tank
2 x 26w DIY spiral CF 6500k
2 x 2 liter DIY co2 (run into filter intake)
AC30 HOB Filter
Flourite Black

Fert dosing via EI method.

Current plants:

Blyxa Japonica
E. Tennelus 'Micro"
Riccia Fluitans
Hygrophilia Polysperma "Sunset" (was included as an extra in a package I received... :icon_conf)
Rotala Colorata (only a stem or two)
Unidentified Stem (see pictures)

Currently nothing alive in the tank save for plants...

The Setup:

Some Happy Riccia:

A failed rescape:

Sunset Hygro:

My DIY bubble counter/co2 filter (made from a bulk spice bottle):

Unidentified Stem (ID would be appreciated):

Will post an update next week once I actually rescape this and get it going in earnest.

·
Registered
931 Posts
hey, nice tank! good job lookign into and using DIY CO2, but just to let you know, pressurized CO2 is well worth the initial expense of purchasing it.

the unidentified stem looks like some sort of Lindernia sp. I want to say that its L. anagalis, but i dont have much experience with it, and thats the only lindernia sp. name that i know. what common name did you buy it under?

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Hey I like where you're going with this. That Rotala green's look nice in here. I know the mystery plant as Lindernia parviflora (or rotundifolia) "Variegated". It'll grow like a real weed when it's established

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey, nice tank! good job lookign into and using DIY CO2, but just to let you know, pressurized CO2 is well worth the initial expense of purchasing it.

the unidentified stem looks like some sort of Lindernia sp. I want to say that its L. anagalis, but i dont have much experience with it, and thats the only lindernia sp. name that i know. what common name did you buy it under?
Yeah, I agree with you as far as pressurized, the issue is, this tank is on my desk at work and I almost certainly couldn't get away with bringing in an actual co2 tank. Even if I could, I'm not really sure where to start as to a system small enough to work with this tank...

As to the plant, thats kind of the issue, I actually didn't buy it, it came along with some other plants as a freebie.

EDIT: oops, missed Lego's post, thanks for the ID!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I think it looks great. I do think the sunset hygro is going to get a little too big for this tank, and a pinkish plant with smaller leaves would better suit the tank (but then again, it WAS a freebie and wasnt part of your original plan Im assuming).

I really like how the riccia covers the entire front in the "failed rescape" scape.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like you have a good start! You must have a great employer, it would be nice to set up a tank at work. Any plans for fish and/or inverts?
I haven't really decided yet, but I'm considering some scarlet badis and possibly some amano shrimp.

Frankly, as I'm extremely new to planted tanks (this is actually my first one) I'm both nervous and confused as to how to find a balance with ferts where I'm not overdosing and poisoning my fish.

I think it looks great. I do think the sunset hygro is going to get a little too big for this tank, and a pinkish plant with smaller leaves would better suit the tank (but then again, it WAS a freebie and wasnt part of your original plan Im assuming).

I really like how the riccia covers the entire front in the "failed rescape" scap
Good point on the hygro, you are correct that it wasn't part of the plan, I just sort of tossed it in the back when it came along with the blyxa.

The reason I say it was a failed rescape in that photo is that the blyxa pretty much dominates the entire tank, which to me isn't a good look. When I add the driftwood I'm planning on using, I'm planning on keeping a good area of riccia in the foreground, but limiting the blyxa to just a few plants as more of a highlight than a primary plant.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Micro update:

Well, the tank is still in a very 'holding tank' status. The good, a couple new plants seem to be doing well:

Rotala Vietnam:

And Rotala Wallichii:

And a DIY co2 reactor I made based on a tip on the forum has my tank looking like club soda...

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
And a DIY co2 reactor I made based on a tip on the forum has my tank looking like club soda...

Oh is that the Hagen Mini Elite filter? Where did you get it? I heard that most Petcos have discontinued it in store, so it's only available online.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh is that the Hagen Mini Elite filter? Where did you get it? I heard that most Petcos have discontinued it in store, so it's only available online.
It is indeed, I guess I got lucky, they had one left on the shelf at the petco about a block from my work where this tank is set up...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Algae update:

I'm thinking the cause of my algae bloom may be overdosing ferts. My nitrate level before todays macro dosing was 0, after dosing, its so high that my rather frustrating API nitrate test kit makes it impossible to tell, beyond that its more than 20ppm, and quite possibly more than 40ppm...

EDIT: Seriously, whoever designed this test chart needs to be fired...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I attempted to rescape last night, I'm getting kind of frustrated. I love planted tanks, and I have what I think are good ideas, but actually PLANTING is proving extremely difficult and aggravating to me for some reason. Particularly, planting stems like rotala. Perhaps I had my expectations set too high as far as what I could accomplish with my first planted tank, but that makes it no less disappointing...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Did you get my package in the mail yet? If you're having problems with the rotalas just use a pair of tweezers to plant them. I usually plant stems of rotala in bunches of 2-4 stems. I grab the stems with the tweezers about 1/2cm from the bottom and jam the stems into the substrate about an inch deep (or more if needed). I'm using eco-complete substrate, so that might be making planting a bit easier for me. The smaller the substrate size the easier it is to plant, IMO.

Good luck!

Charlie

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you get my package in the mail yet? If you're having problems with the rotalas just use a pair of tweezers to plant them. I usually plant stems of rotala in bunches of 2-4 stems. I grab the stems with the tweezers about 1/2cm from the bottom and jam the stems into the substrate about an inch deep (or more if needed). I'm using eco-complete substrate, so that might be making planting a bit easier for me. The smaller the substrate size the easier it is to plant, IMO.

Good luck!

Charlie
Haven't received yours yet, planting right now with a variety of different rotalas I've picked up from others. When yours arrives, its actually going to be used in my GF's tank, although if it does well in there I'll probably end up using some of it in mine, particularly if what I just planted doesn't take.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the tweezers thing was a great tip. Being completely insane, I actually drove out to my office on labor day to replant the tank, and although time consuming, it was not the least bit aggravating this time around. Now its just a matter of giving everything time to grow in, and solving the problem I'm having with pretty rapid algae growth...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Even though your having some algae issues its a very beautiful tank! bravo!
Thanks much, although it now looks completely different than in any of the photos up so far, I'll post some new ones once its grown in enough to be presentable. The riccia was infested with utricularia gibba and had to be removed. I'm not having great luck with blyxa japonica, it died back significantly, most of it is now in my 20 long holding tank at home, a few plants are still in the 10, but barely hanging on. I've replanted the tank with the Rotala Vietnam, Wallichii, Rotala Green, Helanthium Tenellum 'micro', and some fire moss. I have a nicely shaped piece of driftwood added, but it doesn't seem to want to give up on releasing tannins into the water and turning it pale yellow, although I boiled it several times as well as soaking it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well, this tank has completely changed. Currently have a bunch of rotala varieties in there, vietnam, wallichii, sp. green, and magenta. Has a small flame moss area in the center, e. tenellus (I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong) working on carpeting the foreground. Will post some new tank pics relatively soon.

I had a massive outbreak of green hair algae a while ago, but I was luckily able to resolve it with a couple blackouts. The current plants seem very healthy, but I am still having a few difficulties here and there. The rotala green doesn't seem to want to grow vertically much. I'm not really sure why, it doesn't look to have any major deficiencies, very green and all, just not really getting tall. Also having an issue with a different form of green hair algae. This one I suppose you would call "thread" algae, its long, single, thin strands of green coming from the plants. Hoping this will clear up over time, if not, I'm going to have to look into some ways to get rid of it.

For now, heres some pictures of some of the shrimp I bought for the tank. I bought 10 "amano" shrimp, turned out about one out of the ten was really an amano. Pics should give you an idea of what the rest are.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts