The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My water sprite in the back of the tank has grown zero in a month, where as the newer plants I got that are on the side of the tank have had some new growth but slow. Anubias nana is going strong. I have a single T8 full spectrum light and I'm wondering if I didn't screw up in a big way with my lighting. Any idea guys what I can do on the cheep? Moneys tight right now

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Do you have any lids on the tank, I have heard that water sprite doesn't do well in tanks with them. I don't understand why but that's what my LFS told me.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
I say your light is just fine for the plants I see in the tank.

The good news is that water sprite is still alive after a month. Like anything living, plants need food to grow. I do not see fish in your tank - are you adding any fish food? That would provide some food for the plants also. Otherwise, get a small bottle of API's LeafZone (~$5 on line, ~$8 at PetSmart for 8oz) and start adding, say, 5 drops a day. That should get your Water Sprite going. Just be warned (you might jet what you wish for) - once water sprite starts growing it never stops. You will be giving it away by handfuls.

If you decide to try other plants, do read up on plant fertilization. LeafZone is a good start but it's like only eating hamburgers with no fries, veggies, or shakes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lots in the tank actually lol 8 habrosus Corydoras, 5 assorted nerite snails, 2 assassin snails. 3 orange rili shrimp, 1 cherry shrimp and 2 otocinclus.

So I could add more and be fine? You don't believe lighting is an issue?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I grow water sprite like a weed in my 55 with 2 t8s, remember a 55 is twice the height of a 10 so the added light is negligible. So yes you have plenty of light. I don't add fertilizers but I do have a dirted tank so I have plenty of nutrients in my tank. If you are not adding any fertilizers, then that may be the way to go start slow though. If you start to get algae, reduce your fertization. No one tank is a like, there are to many factors to give a fix all answer. My water sprite took some time to adjust to my water and start growing. Now I get around 10 full sized (6") plants every 2 weeks and many more smaller plantlets from just 2 plants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.