The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a Opaline Gourami who I have moved from a 30 gallon to a 10 gallon as she does not like my danios. She does not mind shrimp, snails or the false Julii cory catfish that were in the tank.

I am looking at hopefully getting a bottom feeder that would be appropriate for the tank's size and current occupants.

There are about 15 brown/wild variant neo shrimp, 6 nerite snails, and a group of Malaysian trumpet snails that I do not have numbers on, and my single female opaline/marbled gourami, who is now about 4 inches and probably is not going to get much bigger, maybe an extra half inch in the future, but she's about 1.5 years old now so probably not.

The tank is in the process of being heavily planted with java moss, marimo balls, anubis plants, hygro, and water wisteria, and currently in the process of getting ahold of duckweed, hornwort and dwarf babytears for carpet, it has live substrate/Caribsea eco brand, which is why the MTS are in the tank as I use them to keep the substrate aerated. It has a 20g fluval quietflow filter with a sponge attachment, and a basic Aqueon heater designed for 10-20g, it's set to stay at 78.0 degrees. There is wecoshells added in and mineral rocks for the snails and shrimps, but no other added fertilizers. There is a lot of small mopani wood pieces in the tank but I plan on adding more for hiding spots.

Is there a quiet, small, easy bottom feeder who would docile with everyone in that tank or am I pretty much at capacity with my set up?

Picture of my girl for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's one nice looking girl you got there. I think it's going to be a gamble with anything you try to add as tank mates because she didn't like some fish but ok with the shrimp and others in your 30 gal.
Interested in seeing what members here will recommend. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I'm always on the lookout for small bottom dwelling fish.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
276 Posts
Corys maybe. But like 6 Otocinlcus is what I would say try to get in there. They will take care of leaves and glass. They are a little tricky, but really nice once they are established. By tricky I mean... fragile? usually just in moves, being brought home and shipped and such.

they are very much schooling and you will be happier with the 6 instead of 2 or 3. they will be happier too. They are shrimp safe, I have them in my Gourami tank as well. they should be totally fine in there. super cute too. if for some reason you can't do 5 or 6, 3 at the bare minimum. And I hate to say it, but assume you're gonna loose at least one once they get to your tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Loaches or catfish perhaps? They are probably the best bottom feeders I've had who take up minimal space. How is your gourami doing in the 10 gal tank? I'm afraid to move mine into a smaller tank

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
276 Posts
I was a little worried about that too. the tank size that is. Mine shoot around the tank some times. it's 4' long so a ten gallon... well I was also curious and possibly recommending a tank upgrade

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Loaches or catfish perhaps? They are probably the best bottom feeders I've had who take up minimal space. How is your gourami doing in the 10 gal tank? I'm afraid to move mine into a smaller tank
Mine is doing great, normally I always strive for bigger tanks for the larger gourami, 20g minimum, but she's a special case as she's never been super outgoing and likes her space, but also hates things that aren't her space, so in the 30g she's just hide in one corner of the tank and not really swim around, while in the 10 gallon she'll actually traverse the whole tank (albeit slowly) and make sure everything is where it's supposed to be. Whereas my old dwarf flame gourami used to get zoomies and needed a 30g because he'd hit himself into things from going too fast. Some fish are just kinda weird.. I'll be moving a group of moonlights into my 30g so I'll hopefully have more activity 😂

·
Registered
16 guppies, 1 mystery snail, 1 nerite snail, a 4 female bettas, & assorted plants in a 10G tank!
111 Posts
Gouramis and guppies always are good tankmates! I heard this from my LFS, and the only thing you'd have to worry about the gourami bullying the guppy fry (if you have a pregnant guppy)!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts