The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!
I currently have 2 10 gallon planted tanks. I'd say both are medium to heavily planted.

I'm looking for stocking ideas for each.

Here is what I have in each tank so far. Please provide any advice on additions to each you'd recommend:

Tank 1: 7 Ember Tetras, 3 Amanos Shrimp and 1 Nerite snail. Substrate is eco complete, Filter Aquaclear 20 with driftwood and some decorative river rocks.
I wanted to get a "centerpiece" fish to go with the 7 embers, but thinking it might be best to just increase the school to 13 or 14 and be done with this.

Tank 2: 2 Amanos Shrimp, 1 Nerite snail and Several MTS. Sand substrate, aqueon 10 (replacing with another Aquaclear 20 soon) drift and and dragon stone.
This is essentially empty at this point. I rarely feed it other than a couple of shrimp pellets every now and then. I was thinking of 5 or 6 Galaxy Rasbora's/Celestial Pearl Danios.

I just don't know. Both tanks are cycled, established and have been up and running for a long time.

I had a betta in Tank 2, sadly he passed in December, so I'm not really looking for another Betta at this point. Maybe another down the line.

Thanks for any tips or advice!!

Dereck

·
Registered
29 Posts
For what it’s worth, I have recently fallen in love with ricefish and they don’t seem to get a lot of press. I like those for tank 2. I have Indian Ricefish (Oryzias dancena), which are not super colorful other than bright blue eyes, but the Daisy’s Blue Ricefish (Oryzias woworae) seem to be much more colorful, and there are multiple color strains of the Medaka ricefish (Oryzias latipes). I adore mine, and the blue eyes are brilliant in the right light.

The only issue I have with the ricefish is that they are constantly leaving eggs in my water lettuce so I can’t bear to throw it out when I weed it out of the tank, and now I have all these buckets of water with water lettuce that might have eggs.

Somehow I think Rosy loaches for tank 1, but I think those are had to find and expensive. Maybe some smaller Cory cats?

Have fun. Having tank space to fill is exciting!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If looking for a center piece fish, consider a dwarf gourami.

For tank 2 you could go with some killifish for something different. You will need a lid for that tank if you do this.
Thanks for the input folks!

I went with a Dwarf Neon Gourami for Tank 2. Going to get another small school of 6 micro fish sometime to go with him. Just not sure what kind. I was think chili Rasbora's, but their ph requirement is really low at 5 ph. I don't think I can get it close enough to that. :(

For tank 1, I added another 6 ember Tetras. I'm going to leave them there at 13. I like the one larger school of micro fish. The new ones are MUCH smaller (almost forgot just how little they are as babies) so I can't wait until they all color up and are all full grown.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I had chili rasbora in a clients tank with ph of 6.3 and didn't have a problem, maybe I just got lucky... Maybe pencil fish or pygmy cories so your tank is stocked at different column levels? Sparkling gourami are another gorgeous micro fish that could work but they might not get along with the tetra and they don't school.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had chili rasbora in a clients tank with ph of 6.3 and didn't have a problem, maybe I just got lucky... Maybe pencil fish or pygmy cories so your tank is stocked at different column levels? Sparkling gourami are another gorgeous micro fish that could work but they might not get along with the tetra and they don't school.
I was actually thinking to put the chili Rasboras in with the dwarf Neon Gourami as he's in there by himself at the moment, minus a couple of shrimp I see once a week. It's funny even when they were the only thing in the tank (besides snails) they still rarely came out during the day. Mainly only see them at night with a flashlight. Yet the other 3 in my other tank are always out and about.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Ah yes, my mistake. Definitely no sparkling Gourami for that tank lol. I have never had good luck with shrimp. I never saw any of mine either. I'd get so jealous seeing pictures of these lush shrimp nano tanks and there my lush nano... With every shrimp hiding in the vegetation laughing at me. I had 5G fluval cube scaped and gorgeous multicolored neocardinia (sic?) and I'd hardly ever see them. Wound up scooping them up and rehoming them and got a trio of male endlers instead. I still stand by my pencil fish suggestion- they are so under appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah yes, my mistake. Definitely no sparkling Gourami for that tank lol. I have never had good luck with shrimp. I never saw any of mine either. I'd get so jealous seeing pictures of these lush shrimp nano tanks and there my lush nano... With every shrimp hiding in the vegetation laughing at me. I had 5G fluval cube scaped and gorgeous multicolored neocardinia (sic?) and I'd hardly ever see them. Wound up scooping them up and rehoming them and got a trio of male endlers instead. I still stand by my pencil fish suggestion- they are so under appreciated.
What kind of pencil fish do you recommend and how many in a ten gallon with this guy?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.