The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a 10g and trying to come up with stocking ideas, I'm thinking of either white clouds or embers for the schooling fish not sure about a showcase fish yet.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Second the choice on ember tetra. A school of 10-12 embers will not be a load if the filtration is good. They like a densely planted tank with plenty of shaded spots. The darker substrate brings a vibrant color. They are stand out on nano tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Depending on which schooler you go for you're going to find your choice of feature fish will vary. White clouds are "cold water" fish and should be kept without a heater. Embers prefer warmer temperatures and require a heater (yea, I know it's debatable). There's a lot more choices for nano feature fish on the warmer side than on the cooler side. Hope that helps give you a start.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I have white clouds currently in my shallow tank and they are a lot of fun to watch. I've not kept embers before. Another subtropical fish to consider are celestial pearl danios. I am keeping those in my newt tank and while they do not shoal as frequently as the white clouds they will still get together a fair bit, plus they are a lot of fun to watch. My white clouds have a dominant male that guards a territory and spends all day chasing away everyone else. The other white clouds group together everywhere the dominant male is not present. Whereas the celestial pearl danios are more communal and tend to just explore the entire tank together or apart. Both are fun but in different ways.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
You'll have fun either way. White clouds are fun to breed in the summer, ya just throw'em in a pond. Never kept embers before, but they look fun.

Agreed on the warm vs cool water stuff going on. Keep in mind that WCMMs are pretty temp variable though, and can handle water at the high end of the spectrum (they thrive outside during arkansas summers).

Do you want suggestions on other schooling fish or on showcase fish?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.