The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first ever tank as I'm new to this hobby, but I've done tons and tons of research to prepare myself. The only info I haven't been able to find is how I could stock my tank, as there are so many different variables that go into decisions like this. I have a 10 gallon long tank, pretty heavily planted, still in the cycling process. Once it's ready, my plan is to fill it with:
2-3 nerite snails,
5-7 ghost shrimp (however much would be better),
1 male betta fish,
2 african dwarf frogs,
3-5 male endler's livebearers (however much would be better).
If that's a good stocking limit, great. I can combat the waste issues for that stock as I have plenty of plants (floaters, lucky bamboo, moss balls, and many others) and am prepared to do the necessary frequent water changes if the nitrate levels rise too high. If that's too little space for everyone to be happy, even with the minimum numbers of each animal I listed, would it be okay to just have the invertebrates, frogs, and betta without the endlers?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Your betta will kill your shrimp one by one and possibly your frog if they were a small size as well.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Typically depends on the betta, but if the ghost shrimp are small enough, the betta will pick on them and hunt them.

I've also found endler's to like harder water than bettas. It may be a better idea to instead buy something like chili rasboras, which like soft water like bettas do.

You probably know this, but make sure the leaves of the lucky bamboo are above the water! The stalks are fine in the water column, but the plant will die if it is entirely covered in water.

I'd also add the nerites one at a time, just to make sure that there's sufficient algal load for each nerite to eat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts