The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in about a week, im gonna start up a planted 10 gallon tank.
I was wonder if having
1 ram (electric ram, blue ram, gold ram, or even a panda)
6-7 rasbora / or some small schooling fish
and 1 oto for alge

be to much
I also have an aquaclear 50 for it

im up for any suggestions!

·
Registered
703 Posts
otos like company, so go with a trio, and make sure the tank is well decorated and mature and stable when you add them. The tank is a bit small for Rams, but with good care you should get away with one - just don't go with too small a rasbora , like chili, or they can become ram dinner. I would leave the Ram out of it in this size tank, personally but others might disagree.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
At least 3 otos like fred said, although I would purchase 6 and expect a 50% survival rate. You will probably need to supplement their diet with vegetables like zucchini as even just 3 otos will clear a tank of algae in a couple weeks. I found they don't eat all types of algae, they really like brown diatom algae though.

A school of 7 harlequin rasboras would look great and if you don't go with a ram I'd bump the rasboras up to 9.

I also agree with fred on the ram, a single in a 10 should be fine but others will say he/she might not be happy. I would recommend Bolivian ram over blue rams b/c overall they seem to be hardier and more forgiving. That's not to say you don't need to do maintenance, but 10 gallon tanks can sometimes be hard to keep stable so a Bolivian Ram might have a better chance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My plan was to seed the tank from my other cycled 10 gallon, then place 7 harlequin rasboras for about a week or two, then place one ram (since bolivian ram hardy I'll snag that, but i was also thinking of electric because there a bit smaller but I hear there harder to keep) then after a month ill add the oto.
I do have a single oto in my other 10 gallon tank and he is really fat and healthy. Since they should be in groups ill place them together and switch off from one tank to another.

If rams really shouldnt be in a 10 gallon then ill try to find another center piece. Any suggestions.

thanks for the help guys :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a feeling someone would say gourami, I havent found anyone I like, dont really like the shape of them. thanks for the suggestion though, I might just have to go with the 1 ram and 7 rasboras and hope for the best :p

I hope im no fish murder or doing animal cruelty

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I had a feeling someone would say gourami, I havent found anyone I like, dont really like the shape of them. thanks for the suggestion though, I might just have to go with the 1 ram and 7 rasboras and hope for the best :p

I hope im no fish murder or doing animal cruelty
people will tell you that fish need a companion to be happy. but I have a single bolivian ram and he is happy as can be, I think he'd be happier without the angelfish bugging him though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.