The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
as a few of you may know I have a new set up tank that I said I was planning on RCS and CPDs,
but I know there is a lot other options but I’m pretty picky, and I’m starting to cancel out CPDs.
I thought of Pygmy cories but I’m not sure if I have enough substrate.

But there is no way I’m going to not get RCS.
Gouramis are a no, and Im Not planning on a betta, pretty much anything compatible with RCS That can also go in a ten gallon.
My filter is an aquarium co-op 20 gallon sponge filter with a 20-40 gallon air pump.
My lighting is Medium, no co2.
Tank parameters were planned on 6.6-7.5 and and temp of 73-75 (I will take out the heater when my tank cycles because I don’t necessarily need one unless a bacterial infection happens, I know what to do in that case.)
This has a decent current (And a lid)

Here is a tank photo (I’m going to add more plants to the inside of the rocks and the background, not many plants were available at the time I went shopping.)

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
615 Posts
Sparkling Gourami, CPD(Celestial Pearl Danio), look up some of the smaller Rasboras(Chili, Harlequin for example) Those guys will be all over the tank for the most part.

Corydora, may a couple dwarf Corys. If you want a little challenge get a handful of Otocinclus. These will clean stuff, the Otos will clean your glass and plants more, corrys your substrate more, but the corys keep the tank clean because they sift everything around and break it all up more quickly.

These are just off the top of my head, Personally, with the shrimp, I'd try some of the pygmy corys, about 3, maybe 4. 3-4 sparkling gourami and then a little school of like 6-8 of a smaller rasbora or CPD. I know this is over stocking a little. but I always end up doing that and stay on my water changes. But shrimp will help keep it nice, so just stay on those water changes.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Sounds like you are looking for shrimp safe nano fish that can live in a 10 gallon that aren't CPDs.

Ricefish are fun but hard to find in the states. White Cloud Mountain Minnows are the other easy choice. Both will do well without a heater.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,
I have thought about this a lot and I may be leaning towards pygmies, maybe 6-7 of them and 10-13 RCS?
I hope that would work.
And Ill look into rice fish.
I have done some research about white mountain cloud minnows before and I have marked them off, thanks for the suggestion though.
I doubt I’m experienced enough to overstock a ten gallon and get away with it, plus I just like being under stocked anyway.
Again, thanks for those suggestions 🙂

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I keep neos with oryzias latipes 'platinum white' and it works. The fish are larger than nano size. Females max out around 2" so you will lose the occasional baby shrimp. If you provide enough hiding spots and food it should be fine.

They generally stay in a loose group near the top/middle of the tank but I've seen them go everywhere when looking for food.

A very peaceful fish, you won't see much aggression like with CPD or white clouds. If you kept killifish they are very similar. Kinda like a peaceful schooling version.

They will even breed in the tank. The females carry eggs behind their fins and release them onto plants in the early morning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.