The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, still researching a ton about planted tanks. But I need a little advice...I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this thread though. Anyways, I currently have a 10 gallon, some sand substrate, anacharis, and some sort of water grass. I'm pretty much just asking for the basics. I'm on a REALLY low budget, being 13 and all. So keep that in mind. Now to start...will sand suffice? I know it's not much...but, how much would the real stuff cost? I have no what would work. I'm probably not going to add ferts, I will go with DIY Co2 in a 2 liter bottle though. I also have no Idea what my lights are, it just says 15 watts. But it's the blueish light that hurts your eyes. It was bought as a kit, but cost 20 dollars more because of the better looking lights. Now about the plants...what would go good with what I just explained? But then it has to be available through Petsmart/Petco. Maybe Walmart. My parents hate ordering stuff online, thinking their gonna get their credit card # stolen. :icon_roll I'm also getting around 2 dozen cherry shrimp in the mail sometime on next Thursday. Remind me if I left anything out.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
First things first.

You need a new bulb. Thats a 20000K bulb probably which doesn't provide the correct spectrum for plant growth. You can get a new bulb at any major pet chain, a local fish store, or even lowes or home depot probably.

The stock light fixture itself is probably fine, its 15 or 18 watt t8 hopefully.

I would use plane old sand and some moss on a piece of driftwood or stone for your first tank to just get the feel for things, but thats just me. Keep it cheap and simple, get the plants growing, and then start trading with others to keep your costs down. (been there, done that ;))

Dunno where you are in FL but Green Leaf Aquarium might be a place to contact and go locally. It was started by a member of the forum here. Great operation.

It sounds like you've got access to a paypal account, which is good. That helps out when buying from other people and stuff.

CC # probably won't be stolen online, its a better chance the clerk at CVS or your waiter steals it.

Have some fun, and read, read, read, then read some more!
-Andrew

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. Wrong spectrum eh? Reccomend any lights? Are they at petsmart? Cost? It really can't be more than 20$ for me...maybe a little more. I'm using sand from the creek that's got a whole bunch of critters in it. Know of anyone on this forum who can ship cheap, easy plants? I have an aquabid account, and yes, paypal too. Though my dad mostly deals with that stuff. I also think it's just my parents being paranoid. Buying from people they don't know/ aren't big websites.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Yes, you want something in the lower end of the spectrum with more reds and whatnot, do a quick search and you'll find too much information to handle. The light shouldn't cost more than $20, I would hope its not more than $10 but it depends where you go probably, markup at pet stores is pretty high.

Most small companies do billing through paypal and larger ones have secure servers and whatnot, but yeah I'm sure you're right about being paranoid. I've got some Süßwassertang for sale that I'm growing in a identical setup as you (10g kit stock light and some sand) and if you just look around at people's journals with similar specs to your tank or go to the swap n' shop section there are usually great deals. I personally only buy plants from fellow hobbyists and businesses that were started by hobbyists for some side income.

-Andrew

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Will a repti glo 10.0 UVB compact flourescent bulb work? It's all I have, my dad won't let me go to the lfs for several weeks. It has a high UV output, and I'm not sure if this has anything to do with aquarium plants, but it's 26 Watts, 120v, and 60hz. Will it work?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.